Full coverage block not covering Memory?

SevenWords

Limp Gawd
Well so far my first attempt at W/C is not going too great. Last night when I tried to do my first leak test I found out my pump was dead. Shortly thereafter I was checking fittings for leaks and noticed the ram pads on my NV-78 weren't completely covering the memory chips on my 7900GTO. I bought the block from another forum and the guy had it posted as the Rev 1.1 version, which added support up through the 7900GTX (GTO is a rebranded GTX) but I guess he was wrong. Am I going to fry my card if I try and run it with only half of each chip making contact with the water block or am I just going to have to buy another block?

Personally I'd probably buy a new block but if you don't plan on oc'ing the card much and if the block is actually making good contact with the gpu, you'll probably be fine.

Personally I'd probably buy a new block but if you don't plan on oc'ing the card much and if the block is actually making good contact with the gpu, you'll probably be fine.

Well that's kind of the problem, part of the reason I bought a GTO was because they were inexpensive and could overclock pretty well.

Shortly thereafter I was checking fittings for leaks and noticed the ram pads on my NV-78 weren't completely covering the memory chips on my 7900GTO

Please re-illustrate what you mean here.

RAM PADS not covering the entire chip (like, only a bit of it), or not touching the chip at all?

Most GDDRx ram doesn't run hot enough to worry about that.

The ram pads are only covering half of each chip. They are making contact, but not across the whole thing. Its really tight but I'll see if I can take a macro photo of it.

Most GDDRx ram doesn't run hot enough to worry about that.

I agree as long as they have some airflow that can get to them. Now that he's covered them they'll receive virtually no air. But being partially wc'd might be enough. Give it a try and see what happens.

i think half coverage is anough to draw most of the heat away quick enough. On my backup x300se, there was no difference in the OC with a heatsink on only half the ram, and 2 heatsinks to cover the whole ram chip (GDDR1). I know GDDR3 is much lower voltage so i think you'll be fine.

Back