Full Cover GPU blocks or universal?

busk103

n00b
Performance-wise, which cool the GPU itself better?

I'm wondering about this because I have 2-low end GPUs, and a half-cover block (GPU&RAM) costs $50, and a universal block costs $60. Since I upgrade my video cards rather frequently, I would love to have the universal block; however, I would find this at a loss if it didn't yield close performance to a full-cover block.

Full, if you get a universal it only cools the GPU and the ram wont OC as much, as well as you need another cooler for the ram and it will need airflow. The full block has more area and more copper to transfer the heat, it all depends on the block and how its built as well.

I prefer the universal models. I haven't found RAM cooling to be critical. If you do get a universal cooler, be sure to have some airflow across the card to keep the VRMs cool.

Universal if you don't plan to overclock your graphics cards. Mild overclocks on the core only are fine (no voltage increase). Fullcover if you want to overclock your card for all it's worth.

Since my 6850 is of a non-reference PCB (holes are same, capacitors/electric circuits are larger), I will never be able to touch the VREGs either way, full-block, half-block, or GPU-only.
I cannot get a full block, and if I could, I still would not like to spend $100 for cooling a $200 video card.

My card, as it is, is already overclocked to 1000mhz core and 1175 memory at 1200mV; coming from the reference 775/1000 at 1150mV. Funny thing is, I am able to reach this frequency and stay stable for months+, without any RAM cooling. My card only has a separate cooler for the GPU, a strip for the VREGs, and nothing to cool the RAM. I've asked another forum, and since GPU-only blocks actually perform better than full covers in some circumstances, I've made up my mind.

However, I don't know which one to pick. I have a 655-B pump. Lower restriction would help.
I think the EK VGA Supreme is what I want. Do I want it? Or should I get a XSPC GPU Rasa? Anything.. else? :confused:

You can use universal blocks for overclocking your GPU's. My 480's are at 875 core with out any problems. 900 core on a single card. There was a review showing restrictions of universal blocks, I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
just seems the amount of cooling high end cards need on their VRMs that universal blocks would not be an option anymore.

just seems the amount of cooling high end cards need on their VRMs that universal blocks would not be an option anymore.

That's true but what it comes down to for me is total cost over say 3 video cards. I bought an MCW-60 for 45 bucks + 20 for some ramsinks back when i had a 7800GT, then migrated that to an 8800GT, and now to a 5870 which i added a thermalright VRM heatsink. So total over 3 video cards i spent 65 + 25 for the thermalright for a total of 90 bucks. Whereas if i'd purchased 3 full cover blocks i'd have spent probly ~80 a piece for a total of 240 bucks, so i've saved 150 bucks which is almost another video card.

Even with the unisink's that swiftech and other companies are putting out, it ends up being cheaper in the long run for me to go universal and using it over several video cards. And performance of the mcw-60 isn't terrible even on my 5870, I'm very happy with the 35C drop compared the aircooler.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268423
I can't read these charts that well. From my knowledge, the EK VGA Supreme performs the best with moderate restriction.

I'm a noob with watercooling. I don't have watercooling, and I'm doing as much research as I can before I buy it, a few months from now.
So far, I'm planning to get...

XSPC Rasa CPU waterblock
2x universal GPU waterblocks
MCP655-B pump
XSPC RX360 radiator
Tygon 7/16 ID 5/8 OD tubing
haven't decided on the reservoir yet.

I hear a lot of conflict between the 655 and the 355; personally, I'm just looking for the best actual performance in my watercooling setup at a reasonable price. Another forum told me that I should only go with the 355 if I ever plan to cool high-restrictive waterblocks, such as northbridge waterblocks or ram waterblocks. Which I never plan to do...

Dang, no comparison with the D-tek Fuzion GFX 2 in that review... would've liked to see that and how it compares to today's blocks.

MCP355 vs MCP655 will not make a difference for you. In general, the 655 has a longer lifespan, but is larger and won't fit in as many places.

Back