full backup before installing XP?

ob1ob

n00b
When I tried downloading service pack 2, my desktop went blank. Now I need to do a complete reinstall of Windows XP but don't want to lose all of my saved photos, music, documents, game saves, Internet Explorer favorites, etc. What's the best/easiest way to do a full backup of my system before reinstalling XP? I would like to burn everything to a DVD since I only have one hard drive. Is a program like Norton Ghost worth the money? Thanks.

Since your doing a fresh install anyway, now is a good time to slipstream SP2 into your XP disc. This should be a madatory step for everyone at this point.

You can also do a repair install. Choose repair on the 2nd setup page, and XP will repair whatever damage there is, and still leave all your other stuff intact. I've done it quite a few times,with excellent success..

You've tried Safe Mode right? The repair function is great, but I would also make sure that there is no hardware problems. Check the RAM first.

Thanks for all the replies. I can log into Windows, get on the internet, etc. I just have to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to open the task manager since the icons have disappeared. The Windows XP installed on my PC was not genuine and may have been the cause of this problem. So I ordered a new XP disc from Microsoft and will do a fresh install. I just want to make sure I back everything up before proceeding. I went ahead and ordered this bundle because all I am paying for is tax & shipping after the rebates. It comes with Ghost, so I will give that a try.

Back