Fujitsu Primergy TX100 S3 for OI ZFS?

I'm looking at putting together a very small home storage server. Ideally I would have two 2TB drives in a mirrored vdev. Maybe in three years I replace them with 4TB drives and the array auto-expands.

I saw the Primergy TX100 S3 and it seemed like it might be a great fit.

TX100 S3 Specs:
I3-2100
4GB ECC
250GB SATA
$400

They have an otherwise identical i3-540 system for $100 less, but I think that rules out GELI.

I don't consume a lot of iops, a lot of this content is archival. I would like to have two laptops back up to this device as well.

Could one get more box for $400 by building something from Newegg?

I'm curious if there's a better suited device for this low tier.

There were some questions regarding ECC support with the i3-2100 but if you can find a supermicro motherboard then you can grab a case + powersupply and probably come out under $400 but not by much. Seems like a reasonable deal to me.

For your simple needs you would probably be fine with an intel atom/amd zacate but you would lose ECC memory.

Are you planning to use ZFS?

You're right, if I could get an Atom w/ECC that would definitely work. This Fuji system seems like the cheapest "in" for ECC on new equipment. The only other option would be DIY S775 w/ ECC, but then I'm probably looking at used processors to keep the cost down.

I do plan to use ZFS.

Depends on the power use though and how crafty you are at getting to that point. example i have is that i ebayed 2 old p4 servers using 15 drive 3u rack mount chassis. each for 200 (generally a $300-800 case depending on options, and mine has the triple redundant psu for good measure). i sold out all of the parts for about $125/ea (if i sell the second case, i'd probably make back a chunk of my losses, but i plan to use it when i get my next 10 drives)

cpu was 100 for a 955be, motherboard 80. ram was 39/stick (im at 8gb, getting another 8 in tomorrow).

Case: 75
Mobo: 80
CPU: 100
Ram: 160
415 without drives and with 16gb ecc in it. its a damn capable system and it didnt cost me an arm and a leg... its the hard drives, hp expander and sas card that were expensive

I also have a cheap system put together from parts on the B/S and e-bay with ECC

AMD Athlon II X2 250: $40
Asus M4A785T-ML: $60
16gb ECC (4x4gb): $136
Case: $40 (spend more, my case sucks)

Total: $276 with 16gb ECC w/o drives.

s0rce, is that running Solaris?

I'll admit I completely forgot about the AMD ECC options. Probably because even the I3-2100 did a pretty good stomp on most of AMD's high-end offerings.

One of the reason I favored the Fujitsu equipment is because... well, it's Fujitsu.

Back