Fujitsu 15000RPM or WD 10000RPM

I going to be building a brand new PC and I all ready ordered all the parts I need with the exeption of the hard drives. I want to get 2 of the Fujitsu MAX3073RC 74GB 15,000 RPM but in order to use it I would have to get a controller card. The card I'm looking at is the LSI Logic LSISAS3041E-R. So the question I'm asking is this. Will using a controller card negate any speed boost I might get if I was using 2 raptors instead? The motherboard I ordered is the Asus Striker Extreme.

I going to be building a brand new PC and I all ready ordered all the parts I need with the exeption of the hard drives. I want to get 2 of the Fujitsu MAX3073RC 74GB 15,000 RPM but in order to use it I would have to get a controller card. The card I'm looking at is the LSI Logic LSISAS3041E-R. So the question I'm asking is this. Will using a controller card negate any speed boost I might get if I was using 2 raptors instead? The motherboard I ordered is the Asus Striker Extreme.

That controller will probably be faster than the onboard SATA even without taking any RAID into account.

I you sure because I belive the controller uses PCI express x4, but the motherboard only has a x1. I'm not a 100% though the LSI website for the controller just says PCI express it dosn't say what type.

What are you hoping to achieve?

15K RPM drives shine is database servers, or other applications where the absolute lowest latency is required. Otherwise the raptors would probably suit your needs just fine and cost less.

I'm just one of those guys that wants his programs to run as fast as possible. Cost isn't too much of an issue for me.

Ok mabey cost is an issue. I'll go for the raptors, the speed differance isn't that big. Still it'd be nice too know in case me or someone else decides to try agian.

I just finished a sys. with the LSI controller and 2 Fujitsu drives like you described.
I ran some synthetic benchmarks with a New Raptor X against the SCSI drives.
Maybe 3 to 4mbs faster..I used HD tach
Yes they are faster....but! unless you are moving large amounts of data between the drives, I would have a hard time justfying the cost.
That being said, if you got the cash and want the best, go for it..
They do haul ass;)

I just finished a sys. with the LSI controller and 2 Fujitsu drives like you described.
I ran some synthetic benchmarks with a New Raptor X against the SCSI drives.
Maybe 3 to 4mbs faster..I used HD tach

HDTach doesn't by any means paint a complete picture of drive performance. Those flash-based drives linked above will kick the pants off rotating disks for random I/O, but in HDTach they'll look pretty bad... except for latency. The only real way to tell how fast a given drive will be for a given application is to try it. Drive manufacturers optimize caches, seek strategies, and so forth so much that it isn't straightforward to guess how a given application will perform.

Windows and games mostly.

In single user scenarios, SCSI drives are generally not as fast as the Raptor (you could check the SR database, if you believe their tests), however the MAU (and maybe the MAX as well?) could be an exception.

Well I've already order the raptors, besides I didn't have as much money to spare as I thought. Mabey I'll upgrade in a year or two but by then something better will be out.

HDTach doesn't by any means paint a complete picture of drive performance. Those flash-based drives linked above will kick the pants off rotating disks for random I/O, but in HDTach they'll look pretty bad... except for latency. The only real way to tell how fast a given drive will be for a given application is to try it. Drive manufacturers optimize caches, seek strategies, and so forth so much that it isn't straightforward to guess how a given application will perform.

So what is your point? SCSI or Raptor..Where does a flashed based drive fit in here?

I say, if you have the money for the sas drives. Do it!

or you can probabley get 3 or 4 raptor drives in a raid0

:cool:

So what is your point? SCSI or Raptor..Where does a flashed based drive fit in here?

I was pointing out that HDTach isn't a completely relevant benchmark, and cited flash-based drives as an example of a device that would be poorly profiled by HDTach.

I say, if you have the money for the sas drives. Do it!

or you can probabley get 3 or 4 raptor drives in a raid0

:cool:
uh, never thought of that. Mabey I'll look into it once I get everything running. Is it possible to add more disks to a raid0 with out losing the data already on the earlier drives?

uh, never thought of that. Mabey I'll look into it once I get everything running. Is it possible to add more disks to a raid0 with out losing the data already on the earlier drives?

That depends what controller you're using. Most addon cards support this, and most integrated controllers don't, but there are probably exceptions both ways.

A many-drive raid0 isn't N times faster than a single disk, and your chances of losing data are higher. Just to point that out.

LSI makes awesome controllers, and Fujitsu has the fastest drives on the market. If you can afford to spend that kind of money on your system, go ahead. It's going to be a screaming system, that's for sure.

Don't do RAID, though. I think you'd be better off just installing your apps on the second drive.

Well after a little more digging I finaly found out that the controller card is a PCIe x4, the motherboard (that I already ordered) only has PCIe x16's and x1. The only other controller cards I found either use the same connectors or are just too expensive for me. So I went ahead and bought the 2 raptors. Thanks for the warrnings about raid0, but I all ready know about all the advantages and disadvantages. I have been using a raid0 set up for years I use it too store my media files. I just wanted too know if I could add more drives to it or a different raid0. Lets not turn this into a debate about raid0 their are other threads where you can do that.

I was pointing out that HDTach isn't a completely relevant benchmark, and cited flash-based drives as an example of a device that would be poorly profiled by HDTach.

I'd say it's a completely irrelevant benchmark

hey glade to see somone like me! i already went thru what your going thru with controllers the LSI SAS 3442E-R is the fastest out there....it beats the rapturex that i had in my system...i gave the rapturex to my buddy that help build my system...
i have the max fujitsu sas 36gb x2 and the LSISAS3442E-R controller....my hd tests are and the fastest ive ever seen.....some guys will be jelous reading this and use words to say why what will you do with all this.......they did it with me too on other sites, ya money is no problem and you want the best this is it!......everything you click on will beat anybody out there and there systems.....good luck my brother

hey glade to see somone like me! i already went thru what your going thru with controllers the LSI SAS 3442E-R is the fastest out there....it beats the rapturex that i had in my system...i gave the rapturex to my buddy that help build my system...
i have the max fujitsu sas 36gb x2 and the LSISAS3442E-R controller....my hd tests are and the fastest ive ever seen.....some guys will be jelous reading this and use words to say why what will you do with all this.......they did it with me too on other sites, ya money is no problem and you want the best this is it!......everything you click on will beat anybody out there and there systems.....good luck my brother

Undoubtedly they will test faster in generic tests like HDTach.
The point we're trying to make is that artificial tests cannot replicate one's actual workload on a drive, so those numbers don't tell the whole story. Your SAS setup will surely shine under multi-user loads, a database server, for example. But for a single desktop user doing basically anything except video editing, SCSI in RAID-0 is not faster, as the Raptor X's cache and firmware optimizations for desktop performance allow it to outperform the pure muscle.

i sent this maybe 2 times to post to you ...i am doing what you are doing...building the fastest system possible....i have 2xmax 36gb sas hd and the LSISAS3442E-R controller.....i also had the rapture-x in this system,it was like a turtle i gave it to my builder......
i now am switching boards from p5wdh-deluxe to intel bx2.....to see what happens
good luck my friend dont let others discourge you......:)

SCSI in RAID-0 is not faster, as the Raptor X's cache and firmware optimizations for desktop performance allow it to outperform the pure muscle.
I've heard a lot of people state this and I would agree, but I've yet to see anybody actually do a "real world" comparison of actaully timing the drives doing various tasks to prove this. If anyone has a link to something like this, I'd love to see it.

I've seen that for sure, and is valid, but I'd certainly like to see someone just test times to boot the OS, open some programs, video encode/decode, etc. because in the end, I would think that is what proves the benefit of speed or not.

I just moved from a Fujitsu MAS3735NP 15K on an Adaptec 39320-R SCSI card to a Raptor 150 GB. I normally game and whatnot. I can tell a slight speed difference. The Raptor loads games slightly slower and is not as snappy. But we are talking a difference of being the 1st one in a BF2142 map all them time to being the 1st person in most of the time and at worst bing second or 3rd.

The reason I moved was because the SCSI card did not play well with my X-FI in my NF4.

Those DV Nation drives are sick! Once prices start to drop some, damn, that isthe uber speed! Plus no noise or heat!

Back