Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads anyone got an opinion?

samm

[H]ard|Gawd
If you look below you can see remating thermal interface for a netbook of mine is quite a trial and tribulation with Ceramquie 2. So backup plan is to get some Thermal pads.

So far i`ve ruled out the startech pads (alot of negat reviews).

I have been researching
1) fujipoly premium and extreme pads
2) GE pads
3) Phobya.

Any experience with them. The extreme pads seem to be catching my eye (pure spec thing) as they claim to be able to accomplish 11m/wk vs the 6-8 of the other pads (AS5 is at 8).

any advice would be nice!

I would stick for TIM "grease" where used from factory.

I have used fujipoly xtreme and ultra (ultra is 17m/wk). I have only used them on memory IC and VRM and have had good results for stable over clocking HD7950 and stable over clocking mother board.

The Ultra is very expensive and I'm no longer buying it because of the price. the Xtreme seems to work just as good for alot less money.

Good luck.

I would stick for TIM "grease" where used from factory.

I have used fujipoly xtreme and ultra (ultra is 17m/wk). I have only used them on memory IC and VRM and have had good results for stable over clocking HD7950 and stable over clocking mother board.

The Ultra is very expensive and I'm no longer buying it because of the price. the Xtreme seems to work just as good for alot less money.

Good luck.

Appreciate the advice. Initially during dis-assembly, I saw the compound and it seemed like a pad. However after reading the service manual, grease would be ok. However Im experiencing unusally high readings from CPUID and thats begin to worry. Granted I havent completed full break in, but even then the drops are supposed to maxium 7C lower. with that gap I`d still be higher than before with the pad.

The fujipoly seems like a great alternative if I had to go and replace again. The issue thats holding me is more testing with grease, and also what size, brand, and thermal transfer metrics i should look forward to with the atom.

I used the phobya ultra 5w/mk and wasn't impressed

the pads look like quality stuff (they were not cheap)...quite dense (not foamy), but still very soft...I have used 0.5 mm ones for vrams on my 6950/6970 with the reference heatsink....maybe there was not enough pressure and I should have used thicker ones since they compress so easily....they were touching as I could see the chips printed on them slightly but not pressured enough I guess

the result was no improvement over the old 3 year old cheap foamy looking original pads...actually might have gone up by one or two degrees....the better ones (XT) are probably not soft enough to compress and the seller recommended these ultra ones (as well as some other forum member who got the xt and than had to order the ultra cause it was not compress-able enough)

if I would order them again I would go for one step thicker then what I think I need

Last edited:
Yup mentioned the top 3 brands alot of DIYs mention. But thankfully the arctic silver grease is actually working now.

I have for the moment decided against ordering the pads. However who knows, as the ambient temps now are much lighter then say in the summer.

Yup mentioned the top 3 brands alot of DIYs mention. But thankfully the arctic silver grease is actually working now.

I have for the moment decided against ordering the pads. However who knows, as the ambient temps now are much lighter then say in the summer.

Aahh forgot about that. It's been awhile since I read the whole thread but based on the title and that response I just didn't want anyone to get confused.

Fujipoly is good stuff.

I have heard good stuff about Fujipoly premium. The Extreme is good but is rigid so for some applications not good. The phobya is brand I have thrown around in the same league, sometimes better. Wanted to get the [H] view on those.

I have heard good stuff about Fujipoly premium. The Extreme is good but is rigid so for some applications not good. The phobya is brand I have thrown around in the same league, sometimes better. Wanted to get the [H] view on those.

I have tried both the Xtreme and the Ultra and they both don't seem rigid to me. More like play doh. The ultra is very fragile and falls apart very easy.

Based on the data sheet of the Extreme and Ultra Extreme, they really are rigid compared to the Premium. The Extreme has around three times compression compared to the Ultra Extreme so I'm not sure what that means.

SonDa5, when you used the Ultra Extreme did you not have any problems in the application and its performance?

SonDa5, when you used the Ultra Extreme did you not have any problems in the application and its performance?

Ultra and xtreme Fujipoly thermal pad are not the same. Ultra is rated for about 50% better thermal transfer and costs a lot more money.

I have used both for mother board vrm heat sinks and blocks and for video card vrm blocks.

Haven't had any problems with it. I normally buy .5 mm sheet since it is cheapest and I layer it for proper thickness on my blocks. If you get the thickness needed for proper contact you shouldn't have any problems.

Ultra and xtreme Fujipoly thermal pad are not the same. Ultra is rated for about 50% better thermal transfer and costs a lot more money.

I have used both for mother board vrm heat sinks and blocks and for video card vrm blocks.

Haven't had any problems with it. I normally buy .5 mm sheet since it is cheapest and I layer it for proper thickness on my blocks. If you get the thickness needed for proper contact you shouldn't have any problems.

I know they're not the same. The one is called just Extreme and the other is called Ultra Extreme (not just Ultra, check FrozenCPU's site). I was not combining the two when saying Ultra Extreme, lol.

Ultra Extreme is more rigid than Extreme. Does that not pose any problems at all when applying it?

Saw that thread already but it seems the OP there did not provide some concrete details for using the Extremes.

Ultra Extreme is more rigid than Extreme. Does that not pose any problems at all when applying it?
It's not a problem. The key to using any thermal pad correctly is using the proper thickness and going with the thinnest possible. You don't want to apply pressure when you install the thermal pad. You just want to make sure the all surfaces make proper contact and no other parts on the PCB are making contact with the block. Again you want the thinnest thermal pad possible allowing for complete contact between surfaces and you want to make sure everything else that isn't supposed to make contact has clearance space.

Don't worry about the rigidity. You are not trying to force or bend the thermal pad when you apply it. It is just a layer in between surfaces. You don't want to force anything.

It's not a problem. The key to using any thermal pad correctly is using the proper thickness and going with the thinnest possible. You don't want to apply pressure when you install the thermal pad. You just want to make sure the all surfaces make proper contact and no other parts on the PCB are making contact with the block. Again you want the thinnest thermal pad possible allowing for complete contact between surfaces and you want to make sure everything else that isn't supposed to make contact has clearance space.

Don't worry about the rigidity. You are not trying to force or bend the thermal pad when you apply it. It is just a layer in between surfaces. You don't want to force anything.

Got it. My goal is actually installing the stock VRM heatsink in my Gigabyte GTX 670 but I don't know how thick of a thermal pad to use. I need to know the correct thickness before I buy expensive Fujipoly pads.

Right now, I have cheap 1.0mm and 0.5mm pads. I tested those pads and here are my results:

A.) Using 1.0mm thermal pad alone

20131208_201834.jpg

B.) Using 1.5mm (1.0mm + 0.5mm stacked)

20131208_100309.jpg

*** I posted the same observation on OCN and they told me that the 1.0mm is too thin but the 1.5mm is too thick. What do you guys think? Fujipoly 17.0 W/mK only comes in 0.3mm, 0.5mm, 1mm, and 1.5mm thickness.

Your photos are way to large for my phone. Try cropping them or making them smaller.

Contact Gigabyte for support on thickness of thermal pads.

Your photos are way to large for my phone. Try cropping them or making them smaller.

Contact Gigabyte for support on thickness of thermal pads.

Sorry about the big pictures. Here are the cropped pictures:

For letter A:

20131208_201834_zps8eaf4820.jpg

For letter B:

20131208_100309_zps1b18bc50.jpg

I already tried Gigabyte Taiwan and Gigabyte USA. They were not helpful at all. Gigabyte USA told me that some of the earlier version of this card came with the thermal pad and the newer version doesn't come with thermal pads. They told me that the heatsink do not seem to touch the VRM components at all which doesn't make any sense for me. Then they tried measuring the gap between the heatsink and the components and they told me it is around 4-4.5mm?! Another non-sense answer.

Gigabyte Taiwan, on the other hand, told me to use 0.55mm which doesn't make sense also since (based on the pictures I've uploaded) the 1.0mm thermal pad seems to be too thin.

Letter A looks fine to me. As long as it makes contact you are fine and the thinner you can get it to work the better.

No need for compression at all?

I have two Gigabyte GTX 670 WF3 cards right now. I got the 2nd one from an OCN moderator here and it came without any thermal pads that's why I'm asking all these questions.

I compared the height of "standoffs" in the screw holes on each side of the heatsink of my original card and the one that was sold to me and they have a difference of about 0.5mm. That is why I needed to use a 1.5mm thermal pad (to compensate for that 0.5mm difference) for the card that was sold to me while the original thickness of the thermal pad on my original card is only 1.0mm.

My main concern here is if it is ok to use 1.5mm instead of the original 1.0mm that I should be using? How much difference in temps? Or is it worth it to sand off those standoffs for me to be able to use a 1.0mm thermal pad?

So are you contemplating sanding off 0.5 due to a variation on one side of the card? or overall the card-Thermal interface gap is 0.5.

If its the prior, I would mix and match to achieve uniformity. If the latter 1.5 closes the gap uniformly then yea I see no reason to not.

Let me explain what I have. I have two cards, card A is my original card and card B was the one I bought without any thermal pads. So there are two rectangular VRM heatsinks, heatsink A for card A and heatsink B for card B. Both heatsinks have two standoffs on each side with screw holes. Here's a pic:

DSC00151.JPG

Heatsink A has a lower standoff height (meaning the gap between it and the components is less) than heatsink B (meaning the gap is larger). The height difference is around 0.5mm.

Original thermal pad of heatsink A is around 0.8mm which makes perfect contact.

I only have 0.3mm, 0.5mm, 1mm, and 1.5mm FujiPoly Xr-m thermal pads available. I used 1mm for heatsink A which makes sense. Now for heatsink B, I used 1.5mm to compensate for the larger gap it has.

What I'm contemplating at is if it is worth sanding off the standoff in each side of HEATSINK B just so I can minimize the gap to roughly around the same gap to that of heatsink A. That will allow me to use a 1mm thermal pad with heatsink B as well. Would that be better or what?

I have recently switched from Phobya HeGrease to Fujipoly Ultra Extreme 0.5 mm for almost all of my TIM applications. I first used it for a direct die Haswell overclock, it worked great.

Then a couple of days ago I experimented with one of my Titans. Using the stock cooler, the Ultra Extreme is consistently about 3 C cooler than the Phobya I applied to the second titan. Both cards overclocked and overvolted to the same level, before the change they were ± 2 C, sometimes warmer, sometimes cooler.

Back