FTP shared-access folder

• Thread starter Deleted member 79192
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 79192

Hey guys. I am needing a bit of a custom setup for something, but I'm not even sure it can be done... This is the best way I can describe it:

Computers A, B, and C all need to have the same copies of every file in a certain directory. What I was hoping I could do was configure these computers to update their files frequently based on what they see in a FTP version of the folder, that way all 3 computers could contribute to one large work folder without manually sending copies of a file produced on one computer to the other 2 computers. Can this be done?

Example:

Computer A creates a document and saves it. It checks the FTP folder and realizes document x isn't present, so it uploads it. Later, when computers B and C check the FTP folder based on the schedule, they realize that they don't have copies of document x, and so they download it and add it to their local folders.

Thanks in advance for any help with this. I was hoping their was a software solution available for this and that it wouldn't involve me setting up some sort of FTP server at my house or something.

I was looking for something amateur-ish and very low-scale. Like 3 comps max... I could get away with using a web-based host too like googlepages because the documents in question are just text files without pictures or anything (so low bandiwdth).

Are the machines local to each other? You could just mount the directory as a drive and you'd always be working on the same dataset. Otherwise you might want to look into rsync?

Machine B will be local with A sometimes... otherwise all 3 will be remote from eachother.

Back