• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FTP Server

Not sure if you intend to also use the machine for general XP
activity in addition to being a ftp server, but if setting up a server
for ftp (ssh, mail, web or just about anything else under t he sun)
you can load the FreeBSD Unix operating system which will let you
do almost anything imaginable without ever giving microsoft another
nickel. FreeBSD is a very robust operating system. An associate and
I are running a dual mirror setup providing our own mail, web, and
various secure file services.

Tom in Tulsa

ps: The "free" in FreeBSD means it is free!
go to freebsd.org for details and downloads
 
TheMostWantedPolishTwin said:
FreeBSD is the way to go if you're willing to spend some time getting familiar with linux..
Now that just doesn't make any sense. :D If you are going to spend time getting familiar with linux then just use linux, not freebsd. Though they are both good choices for the application.
 
Filezilla if your using windows. It's free and a pretty good FTP client and server.
 
guys, I dont and wont use linux on this, I used to use some ftp server program, but I cant remember what it is. Please just name off some ftp server programs for me, thanks!
 
A few months ago there was a thread on this. Anyhow, I have had good luck with FileZilla FTP Server. Easy to use and configure.
 
I use quick n' easy ftp. It is small, free, and really fast to set up. Not alot of options, but enough for what I use for with ability to specify multiple accounts with different access rights.
Dynamic IP is also a problem. You haven't mentioned if you have static or dynamic IP, but if you have dynamic, or even static and just want an easier address to memorize, then use: http://www.no-ip.com . It is a free redirection service, so instead of ftp://23.43.xx.xx you can have ftp://Jasonsftp.no-ip.org.
 
ServuFTP is really popular. Myself I just use Windows 2000 Advanced Server ATM, but I am working on taking the FTP off that server and putting it on a Fedora Core file server instead.
 
SirKenin said:
ServuFTP is really popular. Myself I just use Windows 2000 Advanced Server ATM, but I am working on taking the FTP off that server and putting it on a Fedora Core file server instead.


ServU FTP was it exactly, thanks for the reminder..

Is linux and Fedora really that great to do this stuff with?
 
mokkapoop said:
ServU FTP was it exactly, thanks for the reminder..

Is linux and Fedora really that great to do this stuff with?
Sorry for the late reply, but I got tied up with other stuff..

Not much of a reply either. I don't know if it is going to be that great. It was a pain in the ass getting it on this Dell machine, then getting it on the network, then I picked up a dual CPU server last night and decided to scrap the Dell idea. lol. All that work for nothing.

I guess we'll find out what it's like soon enough. If I ever just finish deploying it already. lol
 
Back
Top