FTP Server with Linksys Router

adamadekat

Gawd
Hey guys,

I've been trying to set up a Cerberus FTP Server through my Linksys wireless-b BEFW11S4 router. I have no idea how to do this through a router, can you guys please give step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

Thanks.

Forward port 21 (or whatever port you want to change it to) to the IP address of the server.

so is that working for you now, and have you tested file transfer?

see, i had a heck of a time setting up an FTP a while ago, i had 21 forwarded, but it still didn't work right. the server was visible, but files could not be transferred. i had to open more ports for passive mode. i still dont understand why i had to do it, but im curious if anyone else had to do this to get their FTP fully working.

Yes, my FTP setup required some passive ports be opened in order for passive mode to work. I have no idea as to the technical reasons why, rather I just followed directions provided by the FTP software.

I found some great support on the Cerberus forums. What I did was forward ports 21-22 to my router's ip address (which is the FTP server address). And yeah, it worked. Thanks for your help.

You dont need to use passive FTP.

I had that problem 1 time.

You need to uncheck the "Use Passive FTP (for Firewall . . . )"
If you're using I.E.

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Scroll down and find it. Uncheck it.

Scheizekopf said:
You dont need to use passive FTP.

I had that problem 1 time.

You need to uncheck the "Use Passive FTP (for Firewall . . . )"
If you're using I.E.

Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Scroll down and find it. Uncheck it.

cool that works for IE, but firefox still won't connect to it, and i see no option in firefox options about that.

doh-nut said:
cool that works for IE, but firefox still won't connect to it, and i see no option in firefox options about that.

Are you requiring user authentication within your FTP server software? If you require auth then Firefox will balk everytime trying to connect because it only likes using anonymous connections.

Usually for FTP port 20 is the other port you need to open if your having issues in active mode. Port 20 takes care of the data channel being built during the begining of the process..

This used to be a big issue back in the day, but most FTP clients have all communication running over standard port 21 for all FTP traffic.

NeGatiVeiOn said:
Are you requiring user authentication within your FTP server software? If you require auth then Firefox will balk everytime trying to connect because it only likes using anonymous connections.

Usually for FTP port 20 is the other port you need to open if your having issues in active mode. Port 20 takes care of the data channel being built during the begining of the process..

This used to be a big issue back in the day, but most FTP clients have all communication running over standard port 21 for all FTP traffic.

i just have anon set up right now. ive never heard of needing port 20 open though, my port is 12080, and it works with IE(after turning off the passivemode thingy). heres the error after a firefox user tries to connect:

ftp_error.jpg

and firefox says 'connection refused'. and yea, its not from a real outside user, its from inside, but im targeting the WAN ip, which is why you see its coming from the router.

edit:

oops, just some firewall rule responsible, forgot to uncheck some things that i was playing around with the other day.

it works well now heh

Back