ftp server outside access troubles.

orangezero

Limp Gawd
hope you guys can help cause i've run out of ideas. i have tried to setup an ftp server on my computer at home for others to download files from occasionally. i can now access it on the home computer, but not on my laptop at work. here is what happens, i'm using u-serv ftp server. i have the correct port open on my router, and also in the windows firewall, did both the program and individual port. at work, i type in ftp://***************:port and right away the name and password box pops up. this won't popup if i take my ftp server offline, so it must see that its there, right? after typing the username and password it just keeps searching. i've tried making a new user but it still doesn't work.

any other ideas before i try another piece of software? i'm sure its me.

thanks for any help.

Yeah it seems that it sees it.

What does your Serv-U console show when you try that???

Tried it from anywhere else other than work?

When you're home have a friend try to get in and see if it sees the initial login request etc... it's been a while since I used serv-u , but there must be some sort of a log that logs FTP activity. Look for it and post what it says.

When you say it works at home, does it work from that same computer or from another PC in the house? Try it from another PC within your LAN if you can. it's important to isolate where the problem is, obviously if another LAN Pc can't get in then it's your PC/Serv-U setup, if it can then it's your firewall/router misconfiguration or potentiall your work doing it, but I don't often see those issues from workplaces...

I would definitely disable your pc's firewall first, heck put your PC in the DMZ of your router for a few minutes/day as well.

All those steps will help you eliminate things that can be causing this

Look into the differences between active and passive modes. If you are behind a firewall at work, you will probably need to use passive mode.

hadn't seen that before. By work, i mean a place that has the same router as me, a simple linsys wireless g one. nothing fancy and they dont' really block anything. also, had a friend try it at his house and he could get to the login box, but it could not log in at all.

hope that helps some.

If you are using active mode you need to forward port 20 and 21.

Google "Ftp ports" for more info.

i have done that. I've changed the port in the u-serv from to 9999 or whatever i picked, and then opened the port in the "port forwarding" section of the linksys router under 192.168.1.1 settings. and i also did the same with the windows firewall. so its open as far as i can tell.

why did i change it? most people recommend not using the standard port 21 because the isp can sometime block that port so you won't setup an ftp site, and also for security issues.

thanks for trying to help.

Back