FTP/NAS Atom build

Vode

n00b
I'm thinking of putting together the following system:

Intel D945GCLF motherboard
uATX, integrated Atom 230, 945 chipset, 2 SATA ports, 1 PCI slot, 1 DDR2 slot.

Antec NSK2480B case
uATX, includes EarthWatts 380W PSU, two 120mm TriCool fans.

2GB Corsair Value Select DDR2-667 CL5

Seagate 7200.11 500GB

As the motherboard only has a 100MB fast ethernet port, I was thinking of also chucking in:
D-link DGE-530T Gigabit PCI card
I do have a router with gigabit ports, and my desktop is also connected via gigabit - so would probably get some use out of the speed boost.

All for: ~422 AUD (346 USD)
At time of posting.

I'm planning for 24 hour operation which is why I'm thinking of the Atom for it's low power consumption (pity about the chipset being a bit of a hog). I'd be using it mainly for FTP access and home file-sharing purposes, probably running XP Pro as I think I have a spare copy around somewhere and the remote desktop capability would be nice.

Questions as follows,

How does this sound for value and practicality?

Do you think that with the two case fans set to medium/low I'd be able to disconnect the small and noisy chipset fan without it overheating?

Is it worth getting the gigabit card?

This seemed like the right place for this thread, apologies if it ain't.

I think that it sounds really good, however, i'd up the storage to 1TB instead of 500gb for the drive, as 500 gigs will run out quick if you plan on keeping it up 24/7 and using it for FTP (You may not think so, but it will)
Do you think that with the two case fans set to medium/low I'd be able to disconnect the small and noisy chipset fan without it overheating?
What I would do here (since the thing is probably going to be out of sight) is dumpster dive for an old AMD k-6 machine. They have really small copper HSFs, and you could mod the input holes to zip tie it to where the orig SB chipset fan was. This would give you a lot more surface area for cooling, and you probably would be okay with that and two 120mm fans.
I'd say the gigabit card is necessary. If you want any semi-decent file transfer speeds over the LAN, I would get the gigabit.
PLUS, if you're using a home router, chances are it would switch the whole network over to 100mb to make all the pcs cross compatible.

Pretty good but why did you go with that case? The NSK4480 is also a decent choice if you want more room for more drives.

Yes

Yes

Thanks for the replies,

Thanks for the tip, the NSK4480 is $40AUD cheaper and a larger case, I don't really need the smaller case, going to live under corner of my desk or in a cupboard. Only comes with one 120mm fan - but that should still be sufficient for such a low power system I'm guessing, there's a low speed 80mm fan in the PSU too - and room for an additional 80 if I do find it getting warmer than I'd like (doubtful.).

I think I'll just get the 500GB drive still for now, I'm upgrading from a 200GB storage drive, so should be plenty of room for now, can always add a second drive later.

Back