ftp and webserver woes

i3lacKnyte

Limp Gawd
well i have a folder, and in the folder are all of my php files, images, directories and subdirectories. when i try to ftp to my webserver it only uploads the main files in the main directory, but does not automatically create directories on my server and transfer the contents of each folder over from my computer to the new directories on the server. what i did is log into the cpanel feature on my website and create each directory by hand. since this is a CMS i am installing, there are a lot of directories and this process took 5 hours of pain. is there an easier way -- like an ftp client that anyone can recommend that has the ability to transfer directories, sub directories with contents intact over to a webserver? i am hoping i am just using the wrong software. i have 3 other sites i have to do this for.... oh and the webserver uses apache on linux redhat 7.3 and the ftp software i use is the free version of leechftp.

TIA

hmmm... it's probably a setting in your FTP software. I'm not familiar with that one though. Maybe try WS_FTP le

*any* ftp client should be able to upload all the files and keep the directory structure in tact.

It must be a setting somewhere that's blowing yours up.

Try downloading WSFTP and use that, it should prove much easier.

wiley

CuteFTP and WSFTP both maintain Directory structures, heck even Internet Explorer does ......... sometimes :D

thanks for all of the replies, i really appreciate all of the input. i just tried to install wsftp 2 twice, downloaded from 2 different locations and both times they hung on the install and did nothing. so, i just downloaded ftp voyager, tried a test directory, sub directory with one image file. badda-bing! it worked. damn, all that previous work for nothing -- at least now i know my server isn't broken (cpanel had crashed at the datacenter killing a lot of servers i was told by my admin). im not used to shared hosting and working remotely, normally i'm in situations where the servers are right there for me to tinker with. i checked leech ftp, and i have to create each directory manually it does not automatically create them. i think this is one of the first times where internet explorer > third party program :D ahh well, everything is working beautifully, thanks guys!

Back