cageymaru

Fully [H]
According to Variety, the FCC is planning to host a public workshop on the topic of loot boxes in video games later this year. In the letter obtained by Variety, that was sent from commission chairman Joseph Simons to Senator Maggie Hassan, there is no timeline set for a FTC investigation or an indication that there is one. The FTC investigation, parties involved, or findings is not considered public information at this time. The letter discusses a consumer alert and non-law enforcement options. Senator Maggie Hassan had inquired with the agency about launching an investigation into loot boxes and toxic forms of microtransactions. This letter was the response to that inquiry.

"I share your concerns about loot boxes," Simons writes, "but I cannot address your specific questions about any nonpublic law enforcement efforts." He went on to say that the FTC has other tools available to address concerns raised. "For example," he wrote, "we are currently planning a public workshop on loot boxes for later this year as one non-law enforcement option. A workshop could provide a forum for stakeholders representing wide-ranging perspectives, including consumer advocacy organizations, parent groups, and industry members. It also could help elicit information to guide subsequent consumer outreach, which could include a consumer alert."

Other then mandating better disclosure on the role of loot boxes in a particular game, not really sure what the FTC can do. This has the feel of a politician wanting to 'do something' about a perceived problem. Rarely ends well for the rest of us.

Some games would be completely screwed if they banned loot boxes here. I know countries have but they were as big as us.

Think War Gaming..

Some games would be completely screwed if they banned loot boxes here. I know countries have but they were as big as us.

Think War Gaming..
They already did this back in the early 2000’s wizkids and a bunch of others got pounded hard for their closed boxes for heroclix and the Mechwarrior Dark Age stuff. There were others too but I’m having a hard time remembering and there aren’t a lot of online resources for me to look up there.

A game shouldn't need loot boxes to make it profitable. Just make a better game

yeah, because government only handles one problem at a time.

If you need help with it.. I don't care how many people they have and how man problems they are solving. This wouldn't float high enough on the list.

I don't see anything about big government only solving one problem at a time.

If you need help with it.. I don't care how many people they have and how man problems they are solving. This wouldn't float high enough on the list.

I don't see anything about big government only solving one problem at a time.
The US videogames industry brought in $98 billion last year, projected to hit $180 billion by 2021 and could be violating federal or state gambling laws and is involving minors. Sure, that's not the #1 issue in the country, but that sounds worthy enough of an FTC investigation to me. Racketeering is racketeering.

This post confused me for a second. It mentions the FCC first, than FTC, and has a picture of the NSA.

Started drinking early? ;)
Gub'mint.

never thought id see the day loot boxes were investigated like illegal gambling lol

The FCC: we're not discussing Net Neutrality, Loot Boxes are the real issues!

America: we're too busy working every day to make ends meet, so no time for either...

Activists in America: FCC, please don't take away Net Neutrality. We don't really care about Loot Boxes!

The FCC: we got green wax in our ears, so we can't hear you, so we gonna do something about those damn Loot Boxes!!!

The FCC: we're not discussing Net Neutrality, Loot Boxes are the real issues!

America: we're too busy working every day to make ends meet, so no time for either...

Activists in America: FCC, please don't take away Net Neutrality. We don't really care about Loot Boxes!

The FCC: we got green wax in our ears, so we can't hear you, so we gonna do something about those damn Loot Boxes!!!

FCC and FTC are two different things.

FCC and FTC are two different things.

Ooops, I had my swimming goggles on... No worries, look up at the original post, I'm not the only one who thought of the Federal Communications Commission while reading FTC, lol!

If they tax loot boxes, hopefully they tax churches.

Started to pay taxes on EA in game NHL money (Not that I bought it). And the only thing you can buy with it is loot boxes, I meant hockey card packs.
I wonder if they will cancel all actions if they start to collect tax money on those loot boxes, I hope not !

Yeah, like the federal government taxing loot boxes ;)
Hey if you can get taxed for catching a baseball that broke some record, seriously congress had hearings about the tax implications of a little kid catching Barry Bonds beating the HR record because the ball would instantly be worth a million bucks (or whatever), then why not tax loot boxes if you win big "whoops, that absolutely non-real game item can be sold for $50,000 online so you need to pay taxes on that as income" :D :D :D :D MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

Back