FT3 (?) new active CPU cooler help

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
OK, long and short, I've been googling for a bit and havn't found much of anything except 2 guys that asked this same question over the last year and never got an answer. Figured might as well reach out to my home forum for some help then lol

So here's what I'm getting

Best I can tell this is the FT3 socket (BGA769), is that correct? If so, googling for a FT3 CPU cooler brings up nothing but people poking around the same idea with zero replies or a bunch things measured in cubic feet lol

I can't find anything on newegg or ebay either, which is odd because the wifi version of this board (just has a mini pcie wifi card in it) comes with a fan and has holes (which oddly enough aren't used it seems) for mounting a cooler/fan, as seen here.

So, my question is, is there another socket size that will fit this mobo/apu combo? I'm using it to build a simple file share / server box that will be going in this case but I'd like to get a better cooler on it if I can. I've also got a 40mm fan in the front of said case and I'm debating adding too more instead of a second HDD.

Any help you could provide to find a HS/F combo for this setup would be awesome. I won't get the board until the 30th give or take because it was for sale for 40 bucks but back ordered so I can't actually measure anything myself, but I can't be the only one on the whole forums to get this board.

Also, I've got to keep the price below 40 bucks. I'd like to be as cheap as I can since this is such a weak system but if need be I can do 40 for a cooler.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
According to my photoshop measurement tool, the four holes are about 56mm and 44mm apart, measured from the center of the holes. Taken from this picture:

QC5000-ITX%28L2%29.jpg

It seems to be the same motherboard but with a different CPU cooler that uses two seperate holes.

I can't find any resembling socket hole patterns in AMD's lineup and I can't seem to find anything useful with the search terms "FT3" or "16h" combined with "thermal design guide" and "site:support.amd.com".

It could very well be that these don't have the four holes as that CPU seems to be designed for mobile use mainly. It's used in Socket FS1b which also has just two holes: http://support.amd.com/TechDocs/52121_FS1b_TDG_Pub.pdf

So you either have to find a cooler for a socket that's close enough measurement-wise, you can use thermal adhesive (you need to be careful handling it then) or make your own.

well after a while I just decided to cancel the order (easy since it's back ordered), get a MSI board that's virtually the same but the CPU can be upgraded, and but the next step up AM1 chip the Athlon 5350, all for about 11 bucks more in the end, and it comes with an active cooler vs a passive on the ASRock. This one has the same mounting holes for coolers that other AM1 boards seem to have so if I need to make changes down the line I'll be able to since it seems to be a standard, that ASRock board just seemed to be more hassle then it's worth, and if one of yall couldn't find a good answer I guess I should stick with the common stuff.

Only pulls 10 more watts too but I got a 160 watt pico unit from an old NES build that failed so no worries lol

Thanks for the help tho, glad i dodged that headache already lol

Maybe the better choice in replacing it, mobile Kabini wasn't interesting to begin with.

Back