• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FT02 - Cooling ability worth the upgrade?

AuxNuke

Gawd
Joined
Nov 11, 2001
Messages
605
Currently I am running a Corsair H80 on a 3930k in a Lian Li PC-60FNWX. While the case is aesthetically pleasing and works well enough for a mild overclock, there is not enough airflow to keep the CPU cool when pushing higher clocks / voltage.

After reading some reviews, it looks the Silverstone FT02 is one of the best cases for a high airflow, low noise solution.

- Does anyone have any experience with the FT02 and the H80?
- How are the temps with a 3930k / 3960X CPU?

Thanks in advance.
 
I moved my last rig (Phenom IIx4) from an old LL PC-7 to RV02 with an H50...for any temp difference to really be noticed I needed the bottom fans on high. And that didn't fit my definition of quiet.
 
Dropped my Gpu temps very nicely but not Cpu temps going from an antec 900 with a corsair h70 to the FT02 with the h70.

Tbh, corsair liquid coolers are not terrible for this case(usually), though at the same time it is probably one of the least practical cooling solutions for it.
A dual or triple 180mm rad custom loop liquid cooling or a Noctua D14(or equivalent) are probably the most ideal.

Have you tried a top mounted exhaust fan with the H80 on intake?

(side note: My h70+I7-950 is is terribad. I runs at like 90degC in prime95 :/ )
 
Last edited:
Dropped my Gpu temps very nicely but not Cpu temps going from an antec 900 with a corsair h70 to the FT02 with the h70.

Tbh, corsair liquid coolers not terrible for this case(usually) though at the same time it is probably one of the least practical cooling solutions for it.
A dual or triple 180mm rad custom loop liquid cooling or a Noctua D14(or equivalent) are probably the most ideal.

Have you tried a top mounted exhaust fan with the H80 on intake?

(side note: My h70+I7-950 is is terribad. I runs at like 90degC in prime95 :/ )

IMHO, all the Silverstone 90* motherboard cases are for aircooling first and wcing as an on-the-box marketing bullet point. If you want to watercool there are far better boxes out there to do it with. Hence, my sig rig being in a MountainMods box.
 
Dropped my Gpu temps very nicely but not Cpu temps going from an antec 900 with a corsair h70 to the FT02 with the h70.

Tbh, corsair liquid coolers are not terrible for this case(usually), though at the same time it is probably one of the least practical cooling solutions for it.
A dual or triple 180mm rad custom loop liquid cooling or a Noctua D14(or equivalent) are probably the most ideal.

Have you tried a top mounted exhaust fan with the H80 on intake?

(side note: My h70+I7-950 is is terribad. I runs at like 90degC in prime95 :/ )
You have an H70 installed in the FT02 and you're getting 90C?! That's not encouraging :-/

The H80 gets decent reviews: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/08/01/corsair_h80_high_perf_liquid_cpu_cooler_review/3
I'm wondering if these socket 2011 cpu's are just too damn hot for the H80.
 
IMHO, all the Silverstone 90* motherboard cases are for aircooling first and wcing as an on-the-box marketing bullet point. If you want to watercool there are far better boxes out there to do it with. Hence, my sig rig being in a MountainMods box.

I hear that all the time and I think it is a common misconception. Sure they have great air cooling however keep in mind a triple 180mm rad has more surface area than a 6x120mm configuration. That puts it pretty equivalent to an 800d which is quite notable as a "water cooling" case. So as for far better boxes...?

Not going to say that it competes with mountain mods cos their cases are huge.

Edit: Yeah I'm a bit of an FT02/RV02 fanboy but there are facts and builds which knock the "bad at watercooling" notion
Edit 2: Also, its not the Ft02 that is giving me 90'C. The antec 900 is a pretty good setup for a h70 and I was getting the same temps.
I have a terrible cpu and a probably broken h70. I've tried lapping the h70 to no avail.
 
Last edited:
I've got an h70 with a Silverstone White Raven RV02. My h70 is exhausting. I have a mild overclock on my i7 2600k at 4.5 Ghz. Idle temps are about 32 degrees C (even cooler during the winter). I run my 180mm fans at it's lowest settings (800 rpm) I think.

I absolutely love the case and the 90 degree cooling scheme. It's a shame that I may have to sell it cause I can't get my newly purchased corsair h100 radiator mounted in this case to my liking.

I have a RIVE, 3930k, Gskill ram kit ready to go for a new build. I bit the bullet and bought the Corsair 600t White edition to set up my h100 in.

We'll see what happens with this build.

The 90degree cooling scheme helps with water cooling if any leakage were to occur. For instance, leaks happen typically from the pump where the tubes connect. I'm talking about corsair's closed looped cooling kits. Leakage would trickle down and perhaps damage the motherboard or RAM, but the GPUs and anything else plugged into the PCI-e slots woud be saved.
 
It's a shame that I may have to sell it cause I can't get my newly purchased corsair h100 radiator mounted in this case to my liking.

How would "to your liking" be mounted? I ran a 240mm radiator on top of the rear 180mm fan in my old FT02.
 
How would "to your liking" be mounted? I ran a 240mm radiator on top of the rear 180mm fan in my old FT02.

That would hit my first PCI-e graphics card wiring. Also, I don't have any brackets to mount the radiator on top of the 180mm fan. Granted, a tie wrap would probably work. LOL.

See how this guy has his set up?

2z6dv7p.jpg

That works for him cause he has a sound card in his first PCI-e slot. I have two MSI gtx 580 lightning xtremes. I'm going to add in my sound card as well.

Do you have any pictures to show me how you did it?
 
I hear that all the time and I think it is a common misconception. Sure they have great air cooling however keep in mind a triple 180mm rad has more surface area than a 6x120mm configuration. That puts it pretty equivalent to an 800d which is quite notable as a "water cooling" case. So as for far better boxes...?

Not going to say that it competes with mountain mods cos their cases are huge.

Edit: Yeah I'm a bit of an FT02/RV02 fanboy but there are facts and builds which knock the "bad at watercooling" notion
Edit 2: Also, its not the Ft02 that is giving me 90'C. The antec 900 is a pretty good setup for a h70 and I was getting the same temps.
I have a terrible cpu and a probably broken h70. I've tried lapping the h70 to no avail.

My nib with the Silverstone cases is that to fit for example your 180mm triple rad you have to remove or heavily mod the hard drive cage...you're also limited in how long your GPU is, due to stack height of the rad+fans....oh, and at least on RV02 some moron put the hose grommets for external rads on the bottom of the case which for 1/2" ID hoses results in a case that won't sit flat.

There are cases that fit water cooling with much less effort, and require less modding to get the job done.
 
My nib with the Silverstone cases is that to fit for example your 180mm triple rad you have to remove or heavily mod the hard drive cage...you're also limited in how long your GPU is, due to stack height of the rad+fans....oh, and at least on RV02 some moron put the hose grommets for external rads on the bottom of the case which for 1/2" ID hoses results in a case that won't sit flat.

There are cases that fit water cooling with much less effort, and require less modding to get the job done.

The HDD cage removal is a fair point. I would personally settle for a 2x180mm rad due the the hardware I use(and would use in future). As for cards, 6990 is about the only thing that might be pushing the length.

Yeah, I hate external rads.
For aesthetics along with practicality for what I use my computer for they are too much of an inconvenience.
Personally any case which requires an external rad I find to be poor for watercooling.
 
Hi all, I've done a quick search of the thread but only found one reference to it, so apologies if this has been covered before.

It looks like quite a few people are running Noctua D14s or Silver arrow coolers in the FT02 (non window) but I am wondering if the Silver Arrow SB-E (non-extreme) will fit in the non-window case, without pushing out the side?
 
Yes it does. my video cards almost run 10c cooler since there standing vertical in this case.

yes i had an h80 in the case fits perfectly in push/pull
 
Back
Top