• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FSB strap to NB?

Zake202

Gawd
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
559
Atm I'm trying to OC my Q6600 to 3.4ghz using 380X9 multiplier.

My memory is rates to go up to 1000mhz with 2-2.1v.

My question is, with this OC, what do I want my FSB Strap to be at?

SOmeone told me keep my memory as close to 333mhz fsb strap as possible.

I've also heard of loosing up timing, not sure if I want to do that?

Should I be running my memory at 912Mhz 5:6 ratio or 7571:1 ratio? If I were to run 757 I could probably lower my latencies to 4-4-4-12 instead of 5-5-5-15.
 
Should I be running my memory at 912Mhz 5:6 ratio or 7571:1 ratio? If I were to run 757 I could probably lower my latencies to 4-4-4-12 instead of 5-5-5-15.

WTH is a 757:1 ratio?

Anyway moving on. Only time you need to strap imho if your ram can't take high overclcoking or you just simply need to do a 1:1 ratio.

The lower timing comes into play if you decide to run your ram lower then the 1,000 mhz @ 5-5-5-15. Say if you do 800 mhz you may can do 4-4-4-12, 600 mhz may can do 4-4-4-4. But tha is limited to your ram there and volts.

You need to find out what works best with your ram/mobo/cpu and run a memory benchmark like everest for each ratio you choose and find out what gives you the best results for each ratio.

Good Day
 
I've been trying to determine whether higher mem clock gives better performance than lower clock + tighter timings on my system (1st in sig) and so far I've only noticed a difference in benchmarks, not day-to-day use. I see a bigger increase in bandwidth & bigger improvement in latency (everest bench) with higher clocks than tighter timings, but again haven't actually noticed a difference myself.
 
What I meant by 757:1 was 757mhz at 1:1 ratio or 912mhz at 5:6 ratio.

SamsonJS, are you saying you've seen a bigger increase in bandwidth with higher clocks that use higher timings or lower clocks with tighter timings?
 
Memory speeds are fairly insignificant when it comes to the real-world performance of C2D systems. I recommend you keep your RAM 1:1 with your FSB to maximize your stability, and don't bother with overclocking the memory until you're done with tweaking your CPU.
 
Bigger increase in bandwidth by using higher clocks with (seemingly) looser timings. I say "seemingly" because 4 clock cycles @ 800mhz is the same interval of time as 5 clock cycles @ 1000mhz, so depending on the timing in question you may not even be taking a real performance hit by clocking higher.

At the same clock I haven't found tightening most timings to affect even benchmarks (except tRD / performance level).
 
Back
Top