• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

FSB Overclocking

gwai lo

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
1,690
Kind of hard coming up with a title for this thread, but I think that kind of works.

So if I were to test a certain FSB on my setup and find that it's stable, i.e. 421×6. Logically..if I were to bump my multi to 9.5 my tweaks would be focused around the processor. I know overclocking isn't really logical all the time, but is this notion affirmed by past overclocking experiences?

Reason being, I just got an E7200 and I'm hoping to push to 4 GHz. As implied earlier, I've got 421 stable at 6x, 8x, and 9x. However, it's requiring increasingly more vcore and I really don't want to push over 1.4v. At 390×9.5 now with 1.35v. I know I can just try it (I plan on doing it eventually, but I'm just sitting here waiting for Orthos to fail, so until it does I don't have anything better to do really), but I was just curious as to what other people have seen.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I had a hard time coming up with a search term/phrase.
 
Logically..if I were to bump my multi to 9.5 my tweaks would be focused around the processor. I know overclocking isn't really logical all the time, but is this notion affirmed by past overclocking experiences?

Not really. Overclocking works in weird ways, so you often have to play around with both the FSB and the multiplier to get the most out of a chip. That said, you should still have a bit of headroom with your E7200. I don't recommend you take it to 1.4v or higher, but 1.37-38v should be perfectly safe for you to try and get some higher stable speeds with.
 
Yeah I figured, just wanted someone else to tell me the same. :p

Right now I'm at 400×9.5 stable with 1.36 vcore idle, I didn't plan on going over 1.4v as this is my last purchase planned until 2010 when I do a full system overhaul..so I wanted it to last. Hopefully i can squeeze the extra 200 MHz without having to go more than 0.02 bump in vcore, because firing up CPU-Z to see "4 GHz" is just too awesome.

Thanks for the reply.
 
Back
Top