FS: Voodoo 5 6000 - No power supply

AOM said:
Ok, I don't understand??? Why pay 100 plus dollars for a card with inferior technology just to say you have one? I'm not trying to flame but just curious. I have a couple of Voodoo 5 5500's here myself.

One is in an older cpu Amd 1.4 and the other is in the box pretty much mint for collecting. But if someone is interested in either of them for anything close to a hundred or more pls pm me and I'll be glad to unload them on someone.

I know these aren't as rare but just thought I'd ask why b/c it puzzle's me a little.

This card isn't about performance. It has a torrid history, and is one of the things that ultimately bankrupted 3dfx. The purchaser is not buying it for performance, but rather as a functional collector's item.

OMG!!! Freakin cool

And we moan about big cards and molex connections on current vid cards.

That will NOT fit in your shuttle! Nice find. If you don't need the money I would keep the card, the one that sold for 2 grand was a fluke, I have seen them sell in the $250-$400 range not too long ago. But the price should go up in the near future when computer memorabilia will be almost as much of a hobby as other collectable items. IE Keep it or sell it to Gary because I know he loves his VooDoo cards almost as much as his Mopars.

Fawkes said:
And we moan about big cards and molex connections on current vid cards.

Think a Quantum3D Obsidian2 200SBi (1998) would fit in one of those mini cases?

heh-heh

We don't steal bandwidth from other sites around here. Thanks
-Stress

Try contacting me next time before editing my posts in regards to images- I have express permission to use that site for posting my images of my cards on web boards.

Mobius. You come across as a pain on the DBB and that's fine. You won't be one here. Thanks.

-Stress

Mobius said:
The only thing that card is useful for is putting in a picture frame and hanging it, along with a cautionary note about doing stupid things with technology.

How so? The 6000 had nothing to do with 3dfx's downfall and last I checked multi-gpu video arrays seem to be coming back in style for the consumer market.

In the professional rendering world it's the norm, not the exception and has been since the beginning of the PC market.

Very bad business decisions killed 3dfx more then anything.

TTT

I just cannot resist, but gdonovan it appears you obsess over a defunct video company that got its arse WHOOPED, as well as a auto company that was also whooped into bankrupcy as well!
Of course, they later surived, only to be bought out by the germans@mercedes benz.. but still... whats with the loser company love?
I liked 3dfx as well, and have my diamond monster 3d still.. but sheesh-
I'll stick to GM/Ford or NV/ATI, historys winners.

The dedication is admirable though.

housecat said:
TTT

I just cannot resist, but gdonovan it appears you obsess over a defunct video company that got its arse WHOOPED, as well as a auto company that was also whooped into bankrupcy as well!
Of course, they later surived, only to be bought out by the germans@mercedes benz.. but still... whats with the loser company love?

Wow ....... :eek:

Quoted to preserve a perfect example of why people don't get history

gdonovan said:

:eek: That would be the definition of owned. :eek: :D Nice freaking work.

It always takes me a few seconds for my old heavy Chevy to get some respect. 1966 Chevy Impala SS 427. Some work done....mostly "stock".

Edit: Although that vans is awesome. I would love to have that to go pick up the kids with :D

To GET BACK ON TOPIC!!!!

3Dfx lover in the Puget Sound area. Loved the idea of getting 6000, and hated that they never released these. I too have a BP6 MB with 2 - Celeron CPU's o/c'd to 550MHz in an older case. Haven't had the heart to get rid of the only dual processor system I've ever owned. Think I've got an AWE32 or 64 in there too... ;)

Would love to pick this up, but have so many other things I'd like to get. Like an iPod Photo to replace my 15GB 3rd Gen iPod that is nearly maxed out of HD space. Still... this card is SO cool!

My props to whoever picks it up, and I hope we'll continue to get updates here. I'd love to see some pics of it up and running, etc. :D

housecat said:
TTT

Just because a company went under doesnt mean it was because of bad prioducts, 99% of the time its bad marketing, or stupid execs who screw things up. Chrysler took out all the big boys during the muscle car era when cars were cars and had some balls, they might have been the underdog but they whooped ass, as with 3dfx. As for GM and Ford, it was hard to find a Mustang, Camaro or Vette that could take me in my "loser" little Spirit R\T. Some of the most historically significant accomplishmants were by companies who are no longer with us today. Now go threadcrap elsewhere please.

BUMP for one awesome piece of hardware.

I, too, was a huge 3DFX fan back in the day... and they DID write the book of 3D acceleration. Awesome card, good luck.

I just hope whoever actually gets the card appreciates it for what it is worth, the last, dying gasp of an innovative company.

Awesome.

A card I'd be proud to display, but its nothing I'm willing to fork over a paycheck for.

Bump!

16_vsa_100_small.jpg

Heh.

16 VSA-100 chips anyone?

<admin note- pictures and items are mine as is permission to link from 3dfx.ch>

gdonovan - That is just frickin' awesome lookin' there! I have two 5500's here and can only imagine a 6000!

The top item is an AAlchemy AA5 8162 board with eight VSA-100 chips enclosed in it's protective "tunnel of love" with power board attached.

It's just back from the west coast where it was given a tune up and oil change, as soon as the power supply shows up it will be spitting out benchmarks =)

five-by-five said:
gdonovan - That is just frickin' awesome lookin' there! I have two 5500's here and can only imagine a 6000!

group_vsa_cropped.sized.jpg

Here is a pic of a V6k with a 4500 and 5500.

<the server seems to be taking a pounding today if the image isn't showing>

Back