FS: my very-custom watercooled gaming rig (this is painful!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dew itt right

2[H]4U
Parting it out! New listing HERE!

HEAT ~~~ DeW itt right ~~~ 38-0-0
EBAY ~~~ BDeWitt82~~~ 144-0-0

PRICES DROPPED!!! $600 (+shipping) for "shell" or $1,350 (+shipping) for everything! That's 65% if what it'd cost you to built it new!

Would anyone be interested in buying just the shell? Case, lighting, fans, watercooling setup, and OCZ PSU all as they're currently assembled? I'll just pull out the mobo, CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, burner, & TV tuner and sell everything left for $600 plus shipping (totals over $920 new). If I can sell this than I can part out the rest.

Well, I’m putting my baby up on the FS block! I know most full systems don’t tend to sell well here and I really don’t want to part this beauty out. I’ve put MANY hours of work into modding the case and building the WC setup just right. My wife and I just bought our first house and we’re spending a small fortune on flooring already. I’m figuring this money would be better spent on furnishing the house a bit & buying some tools instead of keeping this beast of a PC. With the house and all I’m sure I’ll have MUCH less time to fool around with games and such. So the Celeron D backup machine will become our home PC and this baby will be moving out if there’s any interest in it.

Condition: This PC if VERY clean and is always taken care of. There’s never really been any dust build-up in the case. I’m always inside it babying it and swapping parts so no dust really has a chance to settle. Plus having a watercooled system means you don’t have to have as much airflow through the case to get low temps. This is why I can turn the fans down for less air flow (and noise) and get less dust traveling through the case as well.

Performance: Before the last month or two it was always at stock speeds pretty much. I've recently been running it 24/7 at this sweet-spot: 2.65GHz, 1.42Vcore, 265MHz RAM, 1325MHz HT, and idling around 26C. I would highly recommend you leave it at these settings for everyday use because the Vcore isn't really raised and the temps (even under full load) are awesome. I’ve recently started folding, which some of you may not know uses a program that runs in the background basically maxing out one of the two cores. Well, I could have the folding client running, have azureus downloading, and play Halflife 2 without so much as a blink in the graphics.

Noise: I mentioned before that the idle temp at 2.65GHz is only 26C. Well, you’ll see in the screenshot below that that’s even with the 120mm fans turned down to 1,000 rpm for extra acoustical ambiance! This PC is virtually silent! The only exception is on sparse occasions when the vibrations from the HDD can be heard but even that is pretty quiet. All 5 fans throughout the case are Scythe 120mm S-Flex fans rated at either 1600rpm or 1200rpm. These are by far the best fans I’ve ever used as far as noise-to-cfm ratios are concerned. They're very quiet and keep the temps very low.

Mods: There are three LED rocker switches I installed on the side panel (pics below). One powers the rear radiator fan, one powers the front intake fan, and one powers all the UV lighting inside. When the system is not being used for anything super intense, you can shut off the front intake and the rear rad fan for even more silence. The rear rad fan, the PSU fan, and the two top rad exhaust fans are all controllable via the motherboard. The PSU has been modded with an S-flex fan because it’s quieter and I didn’t like the blue LED on the OCZ fan. Now you may ask me, “But DeWitt, how can you remove the side panel if there are switches on it wired to the case?” Very good question! To resolve this I spliced the wires and installed a 3-pin fan connector on each switch. So when you unlatch the case you can separate the switch wires and remove the panel.

EDIT: The two blue LEDs at the front of the case were rewired today and connected to the lighting rocker switch. Now the middle LED rocker switch shuts off all of the UV cold cathode lighting inside the case AND the blue LEDS at the front of the case. This will make the case much more "bedroom-friendly".

I've also removed the hard drive and floppy drive racks to make plenty of room for the watercooling components! Due to the lack of 3.5” racks, the 250Gb Spinpoint hard drive is installed in a 5.25” bay with vibration isolation blocks. This works out great because the drive is right below the top exhaust fans and stays at a cool 30C idle. I had a fillport on top but that’s since been removed and the hole has been patched as you can see in the pictures. Also, I drilled holes and installed grommets in the back of the case for the coolant tubing to get out to the rear radiator.

Wire management: The OCZ GameXstream power supplies are notorious for having extremely long cables and plenty of them! I’ll throw on a pic I took when I just finished getting the wires concealed. All the wiring is hidden between the right-hand side panel and the motherboard tray leaving a very clear case environment with immaculate airflow! Also the hard drive is SATA and the DVD burner is connected with a 6” round IDE cable and both of these are kept out of the way as much as possible.

Watercooling: I can’t say enough about the WC setup!! It cools the CPU, GPU, and chipset very well. I doesn’t seem like to many people worry about watercooling the chipset but it helps a ton when your overclocking! The coolant is UV reactive and I have another unopened bottle of the stuff along with some extra tubing as well. The pump is completely silent and is currently set on a speed setting of 2 (out of 5). The powerful pump along with the abundance of radiator space will definitely allow for additional waterblocks to be added. I did this with the hopes of adding a crossfire card but haven’t got to do it yet. The setup is also all native 1/2”ID tubing so there are no bulky increasers and reducers to switch back and forth between piping sizes. Plus the 1/2”ID tubing significantly reduces the static pressure required by the pump. The waterblocks are all pretty new and both radiators were flushed and the system refilled with fresh coolant a couple months ago.

Overclocking: As far as overclocking goes, I’ve only spent a little time testing the waters. This motherboard is a gem for serious OC’ers but I just don’t have the time to experiment with it too much. I’ve reached prime stable speeds of 2.75GHz with the HTT at 1375MHz. None of the ten X2 4400’s posted at the [H]ard|forum A64 OC database reached this high of an OC atleast (under "Toledo" / 4400). Many people have got this board up to 1500MHz HTT too so I know it’s got plenty of breathing room. The GPU hits a nice benchmarking spot at 693MHz core and 774MHz memory with a 3Dmark score of 9,856. I was hoping to break 10K but it just wasn’t there. I'm not big on OC'ing RAM because it takes much more time. I've only pushed my 2Gb OCZ Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC DDR500 up to 265MHz which is where I like to run it 24/7. I’ll post some screenshots of all the OC stats as well. I’ll rerun them too and show the date at the bottom so you can see that these are current OC stats. I also have a spreadsheet that has all of the BIOS settings, benchmarks, and temps at the 2750MHz OC. You should be able to download it at the bottom.

Bottom line: Well, I’m asking for $1,350 plus shipping for this work of art (that's at 65% of cost!). You can have it shipped any way you desire or we can work out a way to meet if you aren’t too far from NE Ohio. We’ll figure out the best way to ship this if/when we get to that point. And I apologize but there’s no way I’m shipping this internationally either. I could probably make the $1350 much easier if I parted it out but I’ve spent a lot of time and energy getting it to this point and as long as it’s in my hands I’d like to keep it that way. Once you have it you can do whatever the heck you want with it! As of this moment I’m pretty firm on the price and am not looking to part it out.

BTW, I’m going to try to post more internal pictures as soon as I get a chance. Between a wedding I’m in on Friday evening and closing on our house on Monday evening I’m going to be pretty busy. I’ll try to check in as much as possible.

I've been working on this FS post for over a week now so feedback on the system and the price would be much appreciated…

My baby...

Tt Tsunami Dream Case ($120.07)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 ($245.00)
DFI LanParty UT CFX3200-DR ($205.93)
2x1Gb OCZ Gold Gamer eXtreme XTC PC4000 ($239.98)
Sapphire Radeon X1800XT ($228.99)
Spinpoint 250Gb SATA SP2504C ($75.63)
OCZ GameXStream 600W Power Supply ($118.01)
(3) Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm 120mm Fans ($59.94)
(2) Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm 120mm Fans ($39.96)
Hauppauge PVR-250 – TV tuner w/ remote ($140.63)
Samsung 16x DVD/CD burner ($36.63)
Thermaltake copper BGA memory heatsinks -- for the X1800XT ($7.99)
(3) LED Rocker switches w/ (9) Female spade connectors ($17.25)
(2) 4" Logisys UV Cold cathodes ($12.98)
(2) 12" Logisys UV cold cathodes ($12.98)
Logisys 120mm fan UV cold cathodes ($16.98)
(5) 3-pin splitters ($20.85)
(4) 3-pin extension cables ($16.68)
AC Ryan RadGrillz 2x120mm fan grille ($18.95)
90mm fan laser-cut grille ($12.00)

System Subtotal: $1,647.43

Swiftech MCP655 pump ($89.95)
Danger Den Black Ice GT Stealth 1x120 radiator ($42.93)
Swiftech MCR220 2x120 radiator ($49.99)
Danger Den TDX A64 CPU block ($52.95)
Danger Den Acetal Maze4 GPU block ($44.99)
Swiftech MCB-120 radbox ($29.95)
Danger Den Maze4 chipset block ($38.99)
Ming Zhang OVV-W2 reservoir ($15.99)
(2) 32oz. PC Ice Non-conductive UVcoolant ($39.98)
40" UV Coolsleeve ($3.99)
10ft Tygon 1/2"ID tubing ($32.50)
(2) 1/2" Tubing Grommets ($6.00)
(16) 1/2" hose clamps ($4.00)

Watercooling Subtotal: $452.21

Grand Total: $2,099.64

Asking price for this system + more shown below: $1,500.00 -- DROPPED TO $1,350 (plus shipping)
(((**NOTE: Most of the system component prices are Newegg and include shipping, most of the modding and WC stuff is FrozenCPU and does NOT include shipping. Prices were taken 9/12/06.)))

The Gallery…

These are two pics taken in two different camera modes. I was trying to show the UV lighting but it’s just too difficult to capture it unless you have a better camera. The second pic had the flash on and it completely drowns out the UV light. Trust me, this lighting is sweet. The thing I like about it is all but one of the lights are completely out of view so all you see is the glow and not the bright lights. And ignore the green light behind the case. This is from a stupid USB cable that came with my external hard drive. I’m pretty sure I have an extra 12” UV cold cathode in a drawer too that’s never been used. I’ll be sure to throw it in with the other accessories.

The only lights that aren’t turned on by the rocker switch are the two blue LEDs on the front of the case. I don’t know why I didn’t think to wire these to it as well. This could be very easily done though.

EDIT: Today these lights WERE wired to the switch. Now the switch turns off the interior UV lighting AND the front LEDs.

These are two 1600rpm Scythe fans that are adjustable via the motherboard. I like to keep them around 1000rpm. You can see near the top right-hand side of the grille is where the fillport used to be. I used a cut-out portion of the case to patch the whole so it’s less discrete. You can see the two screws that hold one side of the patch down. The other side of the patch is held down by the grill. An AC Ryan Radgrillz sits on top the fans and mounted below the fans is the swiftech radiator.

This is the rear radiator with a 120mm fan that’s powered by one of the switches. Most of the time you can just leave it turned off. Just having the radiator OUTSIDE of the case and surrounding it with room air instead of the internal case air provides some cooling. I leave this fan off all winter long because it’s cool enough in the room to provide cooling without even running the fan.

This is a picture of the wire splices you see when you remove the side panel. This separates the wiring that’s connected to the rocker switches so you can remove the side panel.

These are to show a bit more of the WC setup. The wire in the second pictures are normally not seen because they’re tucked up tight against the front panel of the tower. To take the picture (and to see the wires) I had to lean over the desk and look backwards. The reservoir sits closest to the acrylic window and behind it you’ll see the pump. I did this to keep the pump as out-of-view as possible.

There’s not much left of the case parts. I sold them to someone here at [H] not too long ago. This is what I have left.

I’m 99% sure this is all of the accessories that come with the board (even an extra CPU retention bracket). There’s also the stock HSF for the chipset that’s never been used. All of the cables are still in their unopened bags.

These are some WC extras I’ve got laying around including several feet of Tygon 1/2”ID tubing, a wee bit of Tygon 3/8”ID tubing, some “coolsleeve”, several fittings, an unopened 32oz bottle of Promochill Ice Blue UV non-conductive coolant. I’ve actually leaked this coolant onto a different motherboard and GPU while they were running and nothing was ever fried. This is truly non-conductive coolant!

This is the stock HSF for the X1800XT which has also never been used. I’ve heard they can be somewhat noisy.

Obviously a picture I took of the stepping info off of the X2 4400 before I installed it. It was purchased Retail originally but I don’t have any of the booklets or the HSF. The guy I bought it from (new) misunderstood me, opened the box, and sent just the CPU to save me some money on shipping. I told him I did want the warranty info and he said he’d send them later but I never got them. No big deal though.

This is a screenshot of the OC speeds, temperatures, and fan settings running at the 2.65GHz I like to run it at 24/7. Its basically still at stock volts, very cool at 26C, and very quiet.

This was the best OC I could get it to do with Prime stability. I’m confident that someone with more time and experience could get this rig to put out even more.

These are the results from OC’ing the X1800XT: 9856 on 3DMark05 at 693MHz core and 774MHz memory.

This is what you’ll see if you remove the side panel behind the motherboard tray. I spent an entire Saturday arranging it all behind there and getting it secured down. This PSU seems like it has enough wiring to power 2 PCs!

Download 2750GHz OC BIOS settings Spreadsheet here!

Feedback is appreciated -- t[H]anks!!

SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!i have a tsunami water cooled case also!!!!!!

just becuz u have 1 ima bump urs alot till its sold.

man it was hard to make it all fit in there for me.
but u forsure put ur rad better.

wow. thats sick. Good luck selling. bump for the best looking Tsunami dream ive ever seen

tvdang7 said:
SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!i have a tsunami water cooled case also!!!!!!

just becuz u have 1 ima bump urs alot till its sold.

man it was hard to make it all fit in there for me.
but u forsure put ur rad better.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yeah, I tried radiators in four different places throughout the case and found this configuration to work the best. Definitly have to remove the HDD and FDD to make it all work though. You lose a little functionality but you gain so much space!!

BTW, I swear the coolant isn't as green as it looks in some of the pics! In the UV lights it looks like more of an aqua. I like it.

So hows the price? seem fair? I love this rig! It's no biggy if it doesn't sell, I just really need the power tools instead!

These are two 1600rpm Scythe fans that are adjustable via the motherboard. I like to keep them around 1000cfm.

:eek: Does it get airborne? ;) Nice rig. I feel your pain....I had to do it too. :(

I remember when you were picking out the watercooling parts for this in the wc forum. Nice rig, best of luck for selling it :)

bump again. the price is decent i guess. might get a faster buyer if it were lower but thats just me.

tvdang7 said:
bump again. the price is decent i guess. might get a faster buyer if it were lower but thats just me.

Well there is always a faster buyer if the price is lower. Thats obvious. Bump for you dewitright

penguin said:
I remember when you were picking out the watercooling parts for this in the wc forum. Nice rig, best of luck for selling it :)

YUP! It was supposed to be a wc setup that costs less than $150! It's been updated frquently since then but believe me, it was never NEAR $150!! ;) I think it cost atleast $300 when I first built it. Pitched the $150 budget right out the window! :D

And BTW, I'm selling this machine for about 70% of what it would cost to build - not to mention the serious amount of time and energy you'd have to put into it to get it to this point. I think the price is pretty right-on.

Morning bump...

Any interest in buying just the shell? I'd part out the system if I knew I could sell the case assembly and watercooling together. I added the possibility to the top of the original post.

thx! Up...

Original post editted to reflect re-wiring of the two front LEDs to the lighting rocker switch. Now the switch turns off the front LEDs as well as the UV lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back