Fry's Sales Support

Rampage1329

[H]ard|Gawd
Went to fry's with a friend to pick up a wireless network card. Hes running linux so I thought I would ask if they knew of any card with linux support. The response from two salesman, and I kid you not "just make sure the router is open source". I wasn't really expecting great help, but I wasn't expecting two people to give me obviously wrong answers. I proceeded to tell the guy he was wrong and to go away.

That's the problem with technology, there are only 1 answer to questions and the answer you sometimes learn from word of mouth / internet / rumors or whatever is often not the right one

hilarious that he thought that only open source routers would work on it though, seens our friend microsoft has made every retail store so thought oriented towards them.

OPEN SOURCE = BAD and proprietary
Microsoft = Good?

That's the problem with technology, there are only 1 answer to questions and the answer you sometimes learn from word of mouth / internet / rumors or whatever is often not the right one

hilarious that he thought that only open source routers would work on it though, seens our friend microsoft has made every retail store so thought oriented towards them.

OPEN SOURCE = BAD and proprietary
Microsoft = Good?

Open source = worst support on the planet and 100 different "standards"

Open source = worst support on the planet and 100 different "standards"

True enough!! OpenSource is great in theory, but typically results in 200 people mucking around in a kitchen only big enough for 10. This causes MASSIVE amounts of undocumented and/or untested problems.

Not to knock the Opensource movement or any of the *nix flavors in any way. They most definately have their place. Just make sure you know what you are getting into before you begin to depend on it.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility Anything Atheros based works well in Linux and most other flavors of UN*X. Sales staffs at any retailer are going to be, for the most part, completely incompetent as to what they sell and how it works.

Back