Fry's Maxtor 500GB HDD SATAII or PATA $94.99 B&M and online

Gh()st

Limp Gawd
In today's Fry's ad they've got a Maxtor 500GB SATAII or PATA HDD on sale for $94.99

Also, online as well if there isn't a B&M near you.

LINK

:confused::confused: 19 cents a gig seems like a good deal to me:confused:

Well....considering that the 500GB drives have been floating at the $99 range since around January, it would only make sense that they would have dropped more then this by now. And being that not everyone looks at the $/GB ratios, I would have to say that is irrelevant for most to really care about. The prices per GB will always be dropping and I don't see why settling for 19 cents a gig after about 10 months would really all be that impressive. I'm with annaconda on this one. Quite frankly...with this many posts for a 500GB drive at the $95-$100 price range This close to the holiday season really isn't that hot any more. Luke-warm at best in my opinion.

no but really, the price was great in JAN, and it still great.... The price of harddrive is not pushed down by time, but by newer hard drive. Since there is only a 750gb and a 1tb drive above them, and not many people can justify needing, or afford. The 500gb drive is still the sweet spot. so the price is not moving.

another example of this is when the 250gb drive was the sweet spot, it sat a 90-120$ for a long long time, with only the 320gb, and 400gb above. The extra 60 or 150gb wasnt really worth the extra $100 at the time...

Not to mention, while the 500gb size has stayed the same drive themselves have improved a bit since Jan. IE. more 16mb cache, even 32mb cache, more of them are SATA2, more NCQ... yada yada...

Shit, I still fins 16mb cache 250gb drives sweet. and up until last month, 4 of them was more than enough for my data and backups. I have 500gb drives and 1tb drive now, but none filled over 250gb, (except my backup drives but that just because of duplicate data)

I was looking at 500GB in may and they were around $120.

im with them.........they need to drop prices considering all the new stuff coming out... 500gb for 90 isnt that great... 1tb for 190 would be a "hot" deal but warm at the best

If you were looking at 500GB drives in May for $120, then you weren't looking at the hot deals but regular manufacturer suggested prices. These things were hot last x-mas at $120 and then went to $99 pretty quick as hot deals in January. Let's not forget that this deal in the post is a Maxtor and therefore (being my opinion here) not near as good as the Seagate drives that have been floating at this price that give you just as good performance and the 5 year warranty.

And the whole Sata 2 as a hype...blah...you won't see the difference at all. By the time they get to that stage, there will be drives a 100 times better. And the other speed increases they have done are marginal at best (again in my opinion from actually watching them in use rather then some stupid tool to see theoretical potential). You want speed, go with raptors. You want the best price on large scale storage, go with the 500GB drives. If you want a decent price on a decent amount of storage without breaking the common man's wallet (which sad to say most peeps here are willing to spend more), go with the 250GB drives that float at $50. (and sometimes less)

Edit: By the way...thanks OP for posting anyways. $5 less is still cheaper regardless of how you look at it.

nto too shabby. im gonna wait until the 1TB harddrives are a bit cheaper. Im gonna use it to store backup HD DVD / Blu Ray movies.

If you were looking at 500GB drives in May for $120, then you weren't looking at the hot deals but regular manufacturer suggested prices. These things were hot last x-mas at $120 and then went to $99 pretty quick as hot deals in January. Let's not forget that this deal in the post is a Maxtor and therefore (being my opinion here) not near as good as the Seagate drives that have been floating at this price that give you just as good performance and the 5 year warranty.
These are rebadged Seagate 7200.10 drives.

Edit: By the way...thanks OP for posting anyways. $5 less is still cheaper regardless of how you look at it.

Thanks, as that's why I posted the deal. I know it's not much of a diff from the normal sale price we see 500GB'ers sit at, but $5 is always $5.

These are rebadged Seagate 7200.10 drives.

And again..the Seagates come with the 5 year warranty whereas these come with a 3 year. Rebadge or not...doesn't make it equal in value.

And again..the Seagates come with the 5 year warranty whereas these come with a 3 year. Rebadge or not...doesn't make it equal in value.

I bought 8 when they were on sale for $90, and I've had no problems with them.

:cool: Not a bad deal jumped on this as my 80gb seagate ide is making weird noise, first seagate i've had trouble with btw and its like 4 years old ;) thanks op

It would be nice to see a 750 or 1tb drive drop to the 130/200 mark but hard drives generally don do this

Back