Frustrating Computer Build Problem - No video output

doug_7506

2[H]4U
So I am piecing together a computer for my godchild.

SPECs are are as follows:
Inspiron 3847 gut
i5-4400
320gb hdd
Dell PSU
Dell mobo

Parts added
zotac 120gb ssd
zotc gtx 1050ti

Problem:
Computer powers on, all fans start spinning, but nothing comes on the screen. Monitor says no signal output. No bios screen.

Tried:
three different monitors
both HDMI and VGA port on back of mobo (with both the gpu installed and uninstalled)
Tried using both HDMI and DVI hports on the gpu
reset the c-mos
Different cables

Starting to get perturbed on this one. Never had a computer not display, but power on. Thought at first the pci slot was turned on so I tried resetting the CMOS but that didnt work.

Any ideas???? Is the motherboard shot, but still passing power? Or am I missing something incredibly simple.

Last edited:
that's usually related to memory. try re-seating the memory or different memory.

Questions...

Does the computer power on when you press the power button, or instantly when you apply power?
Assuming it turns on when you press the power button, does it turn off when you press it a second time? If not, what about if you hold it down for a while when pressing it the second time.

Reactivity to the power button indicates the motherboard's power logic is functional. That's not a guarantee of a working board, but it's a start.

As wirerogue said, the memory is the next place to look.

You should be able to use the stock on-board Dell mobo video.
Pull out the 1050ti and see if it boots up.

If so, update the BIOS and try the 1050ti again.

First, Thanks for the replies!

You should be able to use the stock on-board Dell mobo video.
Pull out the 1050ti and see if it boots up.

If so, update the BIOS and try the 1050ti again.

Tried that already. That's what I initially figured it was.

Questions...

Does the computer power on when you press the power button, or instantly when you apply power?
Assuming it turns on when you press the power button, does it turn off when you press it a second time? If not, what about if you hold it down for a while when pressing it the second time.

Reactivity to the power button indicates the motherboard's power logic is functional. That's not a guarantee of a working board, but it's a start.

As wirerogue said, the memory is the next place to look.

This is interesting and something I didn't even think about.

The computer powers on thru the power button but will not power down thru the power button. Tested with both the original dell power supply and with an OCZ spare one.

So does this mean its a mobo issue?

that's usually related to memory. try re-seating the memory or different memory.

I tried resetting it and only using one of the two sticks. No go. But I will grab some from a friend and try it.

Thanks again!

I would think it the mobo then, yes. Typically - in my experience - even with defective or no memory installed a mobo will power down with the power button held down for a long period of time.

Query- does the system act identically if you boot it up with no memory installed? Like literally no memory in the slots.

If the behavior is identical, then there is a possibility it's still the memory. But my money is on the mobo.

I would think it the mobo then, yes. Typically - in my experience - even with defective or no memory installed a mobo will power down with the power button held down for a long period of time.

Query- does the system act identically if you boot it up with no memory installed? Like literally no memory in the slots.

If the behavior is identical, then there is a possibility it's still the memory. But my money is on the mobo.

Thanks.

I'm going to try to boot it tomorrow without the ram and with a known working stick to see what happens.

Thanks.

I'm going to try to boot it tomorrow without the ram and with a known working stick to see what happens.

No and no.

Anyway to rule out the CPU before I buy another mobo? Would I still get to BIOS with a bad CPU?

If CPU core 0 is damaged, you would likely not get to BIOS, so I can't rule it out. I suppose it's possible it's the CPU, but unless you were overclocking (voltage) CPUs are remarkably reliable things. I'd put the odds of it being the CPU somewhere in the 5-10% range, and the odds of the mobo in the 90-95% range.

Back