ok, I'll try to include as much info as I can. I'll start with the basics:
CPU: E8400
MOBO: Asus p5k/epu
PSU: Antec Neopower 430 watt
RAM: OCZ Platinum PC2-6400
GPU: Nvidia 8800gt 512
OS: Vista 64 ultimate
Vista is all patched up. The motherboard has the latest bios and the latest drivers.
When I first got the pc and put it together, the only thing I tried doing was turning up the FSB (x9) to 375. Windows booted, then blue screened. I backed down the FSB until windows booted and didn't blue screen on my which was 345. The first thing I suspected was my temps, but they are idling at about 30c and under load (prime95) they go (so far) up to about 38c. But prime gave me an error for one of the cores, so I did some research and was pointed in the direction of my RAM.
So i got memtest and ran it for about 4 hours. Everything checked out.
So then I figured it was my RAM (still do). So I adjusted the timings according to the OCZ;s suggestion. 4-5-4-15. Still blue screened. So I bumped my voltage up to 2.1 and still no dice. I put the timings to 5-5-5-15 and that seemed to get me to boot and run prime95 for as long as I wanted. But what a shitty OC.
So I tried bumping up the FSB again to 397 and when the pc tried to boot I got a message right away that said my OC failed and to reconfigure it. My temps are fine according to realtemp so I don't think that is it.
So now I'm sitting at a shitty 3.2 and I have no idea why.
Oh, I also red the sticky on how to OC c2d's and I made sure all of the cpu settings that are suppose to be disabled (and enabled) are correct.
I suspect it is my ram but I really don't know where to start other than bumping the voltage (which I did) and messing with the timings. I know there are a lot of other setting the bios gives me, but when I tinker with them a little, nothing works.
I had a Q6600 that I got to 3.3, so while I'm certainly no pro, I have OC'ed before...
please help!
CPU: E8400
MOBO: Asus p5k/epu
PSU: Antec Neopower 430 watt
RAM: OCZ Platinum PC2-6400
GPU: Nvidia 8800gt 512
OS: Vista 64 ultimate
Vista is all patched up. The motherboard has the latest bios and the latest drivers.
When I first got the pc and put it together, the only thing I tried doing was turning up the FSB (x9) to 375. Windows booted, then blue screened. I backed down the FSB until windows booted and didn't blue screen on my which was 345. The first thing I suspected was my temps, but they are idling at about 30c and under load (prime95) they go (so far) up to about 38c. But prime gave me an error for one of the cores, so I did some research and was pointed in the direction of my RAM.
So i got memtest and ran it for about 4 hours. Everything checked out.
So then I figured it was my RAM (still do). So I adjusted the timings according to the OCZ;s suggestion. 4-5-4-15. Still blue screened. So I bumped my voltage up to 2.1 and still no dice. I put the timings to 5-5-5-15 and that seemed to get me to boot and run prime95 for as long as I wanted. But what a shitty OC.
So I tried bumping up the FSB again to 397 and when the pc tried to boot I got a message right away that said my OC failed and to reconfigure it. My temps are fine according to realtemp so I don't think that is it.
So now I'm sitting at a shitty 3.2 and I have no idea why.
Oh, I also red the sticky on how to OC c2d's and I made sure all of the cpu settings that are suppose to be disabled (and enabled) are correct.
I suspect it is my ram but I really don't know where to start other than bumping the voltage (which I did) and messing with the timings. I know there are a lot of other setting the bios gives me, but when I tinker with them a little, nothing works.
I had a Q6600 that I got to 3.3, so while I'm certainly no pro, I have OC'ed before...
please help!