Frustrated.. why would AMD do that

silvrhand

n00b
just sunk some cash on a new rig build, picked up two 7970's for crossfire with 3 AW2310 monitors.. Here comes the kicker.. locked @60hz cause there aren't enough DVI-D connectors on the back of the AMD card and we have to use the mini-DP adapters.. to get 120hz I have to buy $120 adapters that I can't get a good feel on if they'll work.

sigh.. frustration this morning..

Frustration at AMD? I'd be more frustrated at yourself for

1) Not doing enough research before spending a shitload of money

and

2) Not being the least bit concerned that you wouldn't even be in this situation if not for your "gaming" marketed monitors lacking DisplayPort inputs

and

2) Not being the least bit concerned that you wouldn't even be in this situation if not for your "gaming" marketed monitors lacking DisplayPort inputs

In fairness, the only panels that do 120Hz and have DisplayPort inputs are $500-700USD...and their are a total of 2 models listed on NewEgg.

Hrmm alright then, I'm sorry for being so harsh. But think about it: the guy has 3 displays, then cries about the $1000+ videocards he just bought not working with them as he wanted them to. It's called "look before you leap"...

Though it made me laugh, that's actually a great solution in case this guy didn't already buy 3x $120 adapters without breaking a sweat. It'd be slightly more cost for a lot more performance and resale value, provided his motherboard allows it.

and

Oh boy.. Here we go eh? DisplayPort still isn't standard on *many* montiors or I would have gotten them at the time. I'm not sure why they chose the standard outputs that they did on the AMD 7970.

1 DVI, 2 mini dp, and one hdmi 1.4, finding the right 120hz panel that works with both DP/DVI, or HDMI 1.4 since you want to use the same monitor for all three ports is a bit tough. I don't think one even exists to be honest. Newegg shows only 1 DP based 120hz panel.

Those are reported to have a ton of issues, only the Accel and the Apple version of the convertor have been tested and guaranteed to work.

Unfortunately both of those are 120+ a pop.

Uh no. The apple adapters are shit. I own 4 and they all have disconnect issues, blinking, garbled video, etc

And how about addressing point #1? We already discussed #2 for you in your absence. Seriously dude, just wtf @ spending that much money without making sure it works with your other components. I might as well buy a 3960X to go with my S775 motherboard

Who buys $1100 dollars in video cards without doing any research?

I do a ton of research but forgive me for not knowing that display port to DVI convertors weren't dual link by default and have to be active and powered to get 1920x1080 @120hz. I simply assumed yep my bad. Still the design of the outputs is a bit tedious by AMD since hardly anything uses DP/HDMI and they tout eyefinity crossfire setups as comparable to nvidia's surround.

I do a ton of research but forgive me for not knowing that display port to DVI convertors weren't dual link by default and have to be active and powered to get 1920x1080 @120hz. I simply assumed yep my bad. Still the design of the outputs is a bit tedious by AMD since hardly anything uses DP/HDMI and they tout eyefinity crossfire setups as comparable to nvidia's surround.

So you made this thread simply to bash AMD/ATI?

Fact of the matter is, you need to either do your research better or find someone to do it for you. The situation you're in has nothing to do with AMD videocards' lack of multiple DVI-D inputs, but in your lack of finding out what you should've bought to begin with.

My main reason for posting my second point about lack of DP ports on your monitors was that it makes JUST as little sense to blame Dell for not including DP ports on those 120hz monitors you have. But are you doing that? Truth is, no one here is to blame or be frustrated at but yourself.

Also, I gotta go, but you stated somewhere above that AMD advertises their cards for use with multiple monitors. Yeah, this is true, but nowhere have I seen them advertising eyefinity for specific use over multiple 120hz monitors. While they are not new, they are new for the majority of consumers just as 3D monitors are, and how you just expect things to work out of the box without reading up on them before hand is a little assbackwards, buddy.

Last edited:
So you made this thread simply to bash AMD/ATI?

Fact of the matter is, you need to either do your research better or find someone to do it for you. The situation you're in has nothing to do with AMD videocards' lack of multiple DVI-D inputs, but in your lack of finding out what you should've bought to begin with.

My main reason for posting my second point about lack of DP ports on your monitors was that it makes JUST as little sense to blame Dell for not including DP ports on those 120hz monitors you have. But are you doing that? Truth is, no one here is to blame or be frustrated at but yourself.

why put a gaming market on the market that doesn't have the standard outputs needed for what they suggest. It's simply unusable to setup eyefinity with 3 monitors without having to buy the active DP adapters, or trying to find a seto of monitors that support both connections natively @120hz. I bought the AW2310's a while ago when I was running with the nvidia surround last year, and loved it.. I get that it's my own fault but the cards don't really make sense in their current output configuration.

Last edited:
I have two of the monoprice adapters and they work flawlessly. The apple adapter I had before was a pile of shit.

they just wanna squeeze out every cent they can make in production
even on older ati cards the second dvi usually is just cheap single-link crap

an outrage considering even cheap entry level cards 5+ years ago usually had 2 dl-dvi
most geforce cards still have them too

Isn't is possible to achieve 120hz at lower resolution using any of the ports? I was under the impression even VGA supports 120hz at 1280x800 or 720p or something along those lines. I know its a much lower resolution, but with those video cards you could run some really high AA and it would probably look really nice. I could be wrong though. I been doing a lot of research of this myself, but I may end up waiting to see what kind of ports the 7990 has.

EDIT: Grammar Correction

Last edited:
Trifire, problem solved.

that wont fiox anything, in XFIRE all monitors are hooked up to the primary card

its all likely explained in detail in the eyefinity configurator on amds page, atleast it used to be.

but I made the same gotcha forgetting I needed active adapters before

why put a gaming market on the market that doesn't have the standard outputs needed for what they suggest. It's simply unusable to setup eyefinity with 3 monitors without having to buy the active DP adapters, or trying to find a seto of monitors that support both connections natively @120hz. I bought the AW2310's a while ago when I was running with the nvidia surround last year, and loved it.. I get that it's my own fault but the cards don't really make sense in their current output configuration.

you have to use DP for the clock generators I beleive, thats why you have to get an adapter.

hopefully more stuff come to DP since its the 'superior' format for high res high hz so I am told

Back