• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Front panel noise

Rossi~

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,479
Yes i'm talking about the Antec 900. Basically i think i may have to just use the rear headphone port on the card (Essence STX), which isn't a problem really, but i was wondering what the best way of shielding a cable was? I'm 90% sure it's a shielding issue because if i tie the cable further away from everything it gets better, but still awful. Is there any shielded sleeving i could purchase to cure the issue or shall i just go with a cable extension and use the rear port?
 
Simple solution is to use the rear port.

Indeed it is. You know what, screw it, i'm going to stop making this harder than it needs to be. I'm going to forget the front ports and use the rear. Just need an extension for my phones now.
 
stupid idea: make an aluminum foil shield around the inside front panel.
 
I just built into my Antec Lanboy Air yesterday and they attached a grounding cable going from front panel that you attach to a screw on the PSU because of this issue you have.
 
First reply here, but the issue sounds like it could be fixed with a Ferrite Choke. You know those stupid big things at the end of a cable? Essentially think of it as inductor that is specifically designed to cut down on interference of high frequencies. A more technical definition is "An inductance used in a circuit to present a high impedance to frequencies above a specified frequency range without appreciably limiting the flow of direct current". That is exactly what sounds like is happening in your situation. I found one from Radioshack for $5.49. So, they're not terribly expensive and should do the trick.
 
I've just ripped it out, now using the phone port at the rear of the card.

Whilst i'm talking about it, i must say that the Essence is freakin' amazing, so worth the £150 i spent on it, in fact i would have spent £200 on it if it were that expensive.
 
Antec are pretty bad about their front panels and have had several cases (including my old Antec Sonata III) where they've screwed up the front panel audio connections. If its like the problems that most cases have with the front panel, its because they grounded the front panel connectors in a common ground with the USB connectors to the case, which basically = total crap.

Just google "antec front panel audio ground" and you'll find some threads about it on many sites.

My Xonar Essence ST sounds fine through the front panel on my Xigmatek case, but sounded horrible and heaps of noise through the front panel of my Antec Sonata.

EDIT: If you're adventurous enough you could try getting behind the front panel and fixing it.
 
I had a google and there are several solutions, i had a look but i ended up not caring lol. Also the front panel jack is VERY tight for some reason.
Just a bit shoddy of Antec to allow this really, maybe they'll listen and change for their next mainstream case.
 
Unfortunately Antec have done this for several cases over the past few years... so I'm not sure if they're learning anything. My Sonata case is 3 years old and it still seems like they're screwing it up!
 
Well, my Antec Lanboy Air has no issue and even listened to headphones out of the front audio connector and there was no bad noises.
 
Maybe they've finally come to their senses then. I never meant to say it affects "all" Antec cases, nor does it affect "only" Antec cases, its just Antec seem to be very over represented when it comes to poor quality front panel audio.

My Sonata III case I bought 3 and a half years ago, I've heard reports that the 902 has the same problem and that came out in, what, Feb this year? So thats 2 and a half years between them and they stil screwed it up again (I dont actually know when the 902 came out so correct me if I'm wrong, that's just when the reviews for it start, and I know it wasn't around when I built my friend's PC).

Hopefully they've fixed it with their new cases.
 
I have a cooler master mATX and the front ports are ridiculously noisy. I plug directly into my X-Fi... crystal clear.
 
Back
Top