Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Why do case and sound card designers still include the provision for front panel headphone and microphone jacks? They've been unusable for years now, with the amount of interference in modern PCs.
I used to think that I was getting worse results than the average Joe because I've always had high end graphics cards in my case, which tend to be very electrically noisy. But I've just built a very basic system with integrated graphic, and no add in cards to speak of, and the front panel phones jack is still extremely noisy.
And this noise isn't just during high heavy GPU or CPU activity anyway... It's perfectly evident in the Windows environment. Just dragging a window, or scrolling, an you can hear an answering buzz or squeal. The volume doesn't have to be particularly loud either.
I've had this problem with so many case/sound card/graphics card etc. combinations, that it can't possibly be defective hardware. When I dissect the front panel wiring, I often see dual or quad shielding, but it's obviously not enough.
Because the average computer user wants them and would be upset if they weren't there. It's a safe bet that anyone posting here or similar sites, is NOT an average user.
Why wouldn't an enthusiast want them there? For people with speakers and headphones, it sure makes things a lot easier when you have a front headphone jack and an auto jack sensing sound card.
Tonight I ditched my Lian Li case with a noisy front panel connector for a new Cooler Master 690 II case. I tried everything I could to solve the problem, the only thing that fixed the issue on the Lian Li was disconnecting the USB ports completely. The front panel on the new CM case works perfectly and has no extra noise coming through it. It works great with the headphone amp on my Xonar card as well. Does not sound any different than the jack on the back of the PC.
Does your Xonar's front panel audio jack have the same specifications as the rear headphone jack? What headphones are you using?
Tonight I ditched my Lian Li case with a noisy front panel connector for a new Cooler Master 690 II case. I tried everything I could to solve the problem, the only thing that fixed the issue on the Lian Li was disconnecting the USB ports completely. The front panel on the new CM case works perfectly and has no extra noise coming through it. It works great with the headphone amp on my Xonar card as well. Does not sound any different than the jack on the back of the PC.
BTW... how do you like XONAR card with your RX700 cans? better than audio onboard solution?
Yeah I think the combination is great. I don't know if its just the amp or the sound card is better, however I can hear things in my games and music much better than I could with the on board solution and same headphones.
The only problem I've had with the Xonar is the stupid GX (EAX) mode defaulting to enabled and its crap.