Front headphone jack static question?

jbauer2485

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
303
I don't know if anyone else has experienced this and has a solution, but the front headphone jack on my antec900 case gives me a lot of static and interference sounds, especially when I load up and play a game or, oddly, moving the mouse cursor around the screen. It also has seemed to become worse after upgrading from a 8800GT to a gtx260 recently.

I tried doing some google searches and found some people that have(I think) the same problem, but no one found a solution. The best info I've been able to find is that it is probably some kind of wire shielding problem that is allowing other hardware to electromagnetically interfere with the front headphone jack.

Anyway, anyone know a fix?
 
The best info I've been able to find is that it is probably some kind of wire shielding problem that is allowing other hardware to electromagnetically interfere with the front headphone jack.
That's pretty much exactly it. The thinly-shielded cables used for front panel connectors are susceptible to interference, which results in static noise from disk I/O, mouse movement, etc.

If you're looking for a quick fix, you can replace the cable with a heavier gauge, more heavily-insulated type, though you'll need a soldering iron to reattach the connectors. Failing that, you may have some luck intelligently rerouting the cable behind the mobo tray, away from the "noisiest" devices.
 
Are you talking about high frequency sorta noises also? I have the same problem on my new pc and on my Dell, sometimes when I scrolled up and down, it would change the noise, and even on games when I zoomed in with a scoped rifle, the noise would change.
 
I had the same problems with my antec 900 case, so I went external with all my sound stuff now. An interim solution for me was to use a 3.5mm splitter at the soundcard output to run speakers and headphones off the same jack. The rear jack was quiet.
 
Back
Top