• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Front End Application For MySQL?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Joined
Sep 25, 2002
Messages
6,633
I am looking for a front end application that will allow me to enter in all my server / workstation data into a MySQL backend running on Debian Linux. I have been told that I need to take all 75 servers we have in our server room and keep a database of the following:

- Make
- Model
- O.S.
- I.P.
- Hostname
- Serial #
- Company Asset #
- Warranty Expiration Date
- Room Location

Does anyone know of a program or easiest way I can enter all this data into a MySQL database and manage it as things change and move around? Right now I am using a spreadsheet from OpenOffice and it's not efficient if you know what I mean. Anyone have any tips / suggestions?
 
Can you use Excel or Access? Those tools will do what you want. But there are any number of front end tools out there but these are very well supported for the task you're describing.
 
Basically, OP, there are existing database web apps that store data in MySQL databases. It's fairly easy and straight-forward, but you should be able to get your hands one of these pre-programmed data input web apps. You might even be able to develop your own real quick and dirty based off sample code... That's all I really know on the issue.
 
You should be able to create a CSV file of the data and import it into a database using phpMyAdmin.
 
I'm generally not a fan of using spreadsheets instead of DBs but unless you want to do anything else with the data, a spreadsheet is probably fine. You might look into Google Docs or something like that to get around the problem of files becoming inconsistent.

A DB and a custom app are going to be completely overkill unless you have significantly more data or need to do significantly more with the data you have.
 
You can use nmap to get your initial info to save typing and let it fingerprint your OSs, then set up nagios to monitor.
For windows try the dude.http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php

For knowledgebase you can set up a wiki, or a CMS which has a search engine built in.
Plone is good enough for NASA, Drupal is good enough for Popular Science, but that doesn't mean they're too big for you. Check http://php.opensourcecms.com/ for demos of lots of CMS apps.

Devote a page per server, a page to each consultant, a page to the A/C guys, the software and hardware vendors, consultants, floor plans, contracts, phone systems, backup plan, etc. The whole thing is search-able, tag-able, linkable, and if you are somehow indisposed, others can access your "brain" to a certain extent and keep moving forward.

This has the benefit of looking like a regular web site, so non geeks are comfortable with it.
You can also use it to "blog" your changes and notes. (or wiki on a stick if you prefer)

Learn to use the CMS's built in acls and hide stuff general audiences shouldn't see, and even allow others to put stuff there too, like phone extension lists, office supply info, copier info, lunch menus, birthday announcements, how to set up Outlook, TPO reports etc.

You can also try spiceworks. it gets good reviews.
http://www.spiceworks.com/free-help-desk-software/
 
Thanks all. I installed MySQL 5.1.45 & using PhpMyAdmin. It works perfect for me because I prefer using MySQL over a spreadsheet application.

Is it possible to import spreadsheet data from a .xls spreadsheet file into MySQL database?
 
Export it to CSV then it should be easy, MySQL can import CSV files directly and there's probably a function in PhpMyAdmin to do the same.
 
Back
Top