From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility @ [H]

Dude I wish I could post there its waste of time though, its not going to increase the performance that great, I will wait for more reviews, but I can tell ya right now, don't expect miracles. How many times have we heard drivers will do the trick and months later if not years we still don't see it.

Great to have hope but we have seen this review, the video reviews which were taken down. The overclocking bit yeah drivers might help there, but I would like to see the power usage, The guy already stated temps of the GPU, I don't see it changing much there so I don't think you will see "greatly" lower power consumption because of drivers or more overclocking head room because of drivers. (not geared at you but at the comments of his review)

Idk just saw another video with temps at 75c. So idk who the fuck is doing what lol. That cooler is pretty shitty though. As long as it's quiet I guess its fine. 1080/1070 run at 80+ with default fan speeds as well despite their rather good coolers. So I guess it's all good.

LOL on videocardz blog, one of the posters says he is willing to wait for trusted youtube reviewers AdornedTV lol, wow That is just comical shit.
AMDTV would never lie. He just tells it as it is mang, you just don't get it.
Gotta work on your dialectics.

LOL on videocardz blog, one of the posters says he is willing to wait for trusted youtube reviewers AdornedTV lol, wow That is just comical shit.

NO! Comical shit is how he is going to spin it in his upcoming video, if AMD have been busy polishing a turd as Kyle amusingly said, then AdoredTV will now make it look pretty, dress it and eat it. LOL

Idk just saw another video with temps at 75c. So idk who the fuck is doing what lol. That cooler is pretty shitty though. As long as it's quiet I guess its fine. 1080/1070 run at 80+ with default fan speeds as well despite their rather good coolers. So I guess it's all good.

I do expect the non ref coolers to be better, but overclocking it might be due to power consumption that its not overclocking well.

The 480 fan spins at much higher speeds, the reference 1080/70 don't even hit 50% last I chcked

I do expect the non ref coolers to be better, but overclocking it might be due to power consumption that its not overclocking well.

plus if you need voltage increases it's gonna get out of hand quickly if this is how it behaves at stock

Now to see how overclocking fares on AIB i guess, but even if 1500mhz is achievable, that's also going to come with a price increase not to mention diminishing returns in terms of perf: power . How inefficient will it get ?!
Kyle did say that earlier aib are reporting 1480 to 1600 with really good cooling but not GPUs will do that. so I guess rumors about chips running at 1500 stock with binned chips might be true.

The 480 fan spins at much higher speeds, the reference 1080/70 don't even hit 50% last I chcked

plus if you need voltage increases it's gonna get out of hand quickly if this is how it behaves at stock

I am talking about the quality of the heat sinks on those. They are rather good compared to block and copper core on the 480. That's what I am saying. As long as it is stable people will be fine at that price.

If this review comes to pass, pretty much all nV has to do is drop the 970 another 25 bucks and they are set, cause the 970 you can already get for under 300 bucks after rebates, overclocked versions. (if they can do that margins wise I guess worse comes to worse and they have supply issues)

Gonna be honest - couldn't tell if Kyle was being serious or not on that point.
I was reading that when I woke up, and thought it was just satire haha.

If this review comes to pass, pretty much all nV has to do is drop the 970 another 25 bucks and they are set, cause the 970 you can already get for under 300 bucks after rebates, overclocked versions. (if they can do that margins wise I guess worse comes to worse and they have supply issues)
In EU rx480 is already priced as clearance 970s lmao (if latter are not cheaper, even!).

Either way, so i suppose der8auer was not kidding one bit yesterday when he mentioned that the card is simply bad proposition in EU.

Gonna be honest - couldn't tell if Kyle was being serious or not on that point.
I was reading that when I woke up, and thought it was just satire haha.
Na he seemed pretty serious. He won't spread bullshit like that. He mentioned it like it is. I didn't see any level of sarcasm in his post.

I never even considered the 970 at 3.5 + .5 GB of RAM. It's why I think a 1060 3 GB is DOA (I'm even questioning the 1060 6 GB).

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Well does the 980ti run out of memory in any games?

So yeah 6 gb should be more than enough.

3 gb might be a problem, we have seen the 970 hit the 3.5 gb barrier in quite a few games.

What I'm saying is an interim solution if they have sustained supply issues for more than a month.

A lot of my impression (even before these initial numbers) came from the Sapphire tech's answer to a question on the Twitch stream.
This begs the question if the RX480 at 1600Mhz would still be characterized as a side-grade. Those were Sapphire's words after all. And if so, does the reduced noise (and better thermals) of a non-reference make this a more compelling product?

Well does the 980ti run out of memory in any games?

So yeah 6 gb should be more than enough.

3 gb might be a problem, we have seen the 970 hit the 3.5 gb barrier in quite a few games.

What I'm saying is an interim solution if they have sustained supply issues for more than a month.

A 6 GB 980Ti doesn't have issues with games now. It was only a year ago that we were questioning whether or not 6 GB was overkill. I'd consider it to be bare minimum within the next year or two and I tend to hold on to my graphics cards (oh, hell, who am I kidding? The whole goddamn system) for a lot longer than two years.

A lot of my impression (even before these initial numbers) came from the Sapphire tech's answer to a question on the Twitch stream.
This begs the question if the RX480 at 1600Mhz would still be characterized as a side-grade. Those were Sapphire's words after all. And if so, does the reduced noise (and better thermals) of a non-reference make this a more compelling product?

if you have a 390x its a side grade no matter what, I personally would go through the trouble of selling it. But at 1500+ with binned chips it should be pretty damn good. Given the stock cards are like capping at 1330

A 6 GB 980Ti doesn't have issues with games now. It was only a year ago that we were questioning whether or not 6 GB was overkill. I'd consider it to be bare minimum within the next year or two and I tend to hold on to my graphics cards (oh, hell, who am I kidding? The whole goddamn system) for a lot longer than two years.
you still need the performance to use higher level textures and higher level shaders, so if the 1060 with 6 gb is performing like a 980 or just a bit faster, it should be fine on the memory front.

Personally I think the 8gb on the rx 480 is overkill.

you still need the performance to use higher level textures and higher level shaders, so if the 1060 with 6 gb is performing like a 980 or just a bit faster, it should be fine on the memory front.

Personally I think the 8gb on the rx 480 is overkill.
Yep.
8GB cards for crossfire only really.
Much smaller market. Way less satisfying on slow cards because when it doesnt work well, you are on a single 480.

Perused the TPU review while waiting for [H] to put theirs up. Card performs exactly as I expected. No disappointment. But I had realistic expectations.

Perused the TPU review while waiting for [H] to put theirs up. Card performs exactly as I expected. No disappointment. But I had realistic expectations.

I'm getting 502 Bad Gateway every other page click haha. Lotta eyeballs for the RX480 reviews today.

There's word doing the rounds that the 4 gig card has 8 gigs of vram, just needs a bios update though obviously thats a crapshoot. Think its mentioned in the pc per video review.

6GB on the 980Ti is perfect for the performance it has. The 1080Ti coming with HBM2 8GB or 12GB will make more use of the higher RAM capacity.

To amend: Performance is where I expected it to be, hovering around the 970/980/390/390x depending on the test. Temps are high, so an AIB cooler is desired. But that power draw is bad. I'm OK with the 165W average, I just don't like it on a 6-pin design. They are going against ATX spec, and one review shows it drawing over 90W from the motherboard. That is not good. This should have had an 8-pin by default.

It looks like they intended it to be a lower clocked part, but had to push it to reach the target performance.

Yeah TPU's review was not kind when it came to the blu-ray playback or multi-mon power consumption either.
Both are fairly high.

Yeah TPU's review was not kind when it came to the blu-ray playback or multi-mon power consumption either.
Both are fairly high.

Tom's was even worse. It's a desktop part so I don't mind the power draw. It's a slightly more powerful and slightly more efficient GTX 970 for $200. But it absolutely should have had an 8-pin.

The reference card WILL cause issues with many motherboards.

if you have a 390x its a side grade no matter what, I personally would go through the trouble of selling it. But at 1500+ with binned chips it should be pretty damn good. Given the stock cards are like capping at 1330

You don't even know how much heat and power it'll consume at 1500MHz+. Why would you take the trouble of selling your existing card, go without a card for a few days/weeks just to get the same performance/worse performance at an unknown reduction (if any) in power consumption.

Why the hell would you do that?

You don't even know how much heat and power it'll consume at 1500MHz+. Why would you take the trouble of selling your existing card, go without a card for a few days/weeks just to get the same performance/worse performance at an unknown reduction (if any) in power consumption.

Why the hell would you do that?

There is no reason that I can think of if you already have a 390/390x. I only did it with a 970 for FreeSync, and even that is questionable to some. I absolutely would not drop a 390x for this card. TPU shows worse resolution scaling due to 256-bit bus as well.

By the way guys, we've overlooked an actual kid elephant in the room.

Look, reference board is mostly salvaged by price in retail but there's one problem only few have noticed thus far: Reference board is the one that goes to OEM builds.

Reference board is also the board that overspecs motherboard PCI-E slot. I can't imagine any single OEM will like that.

I think the card is solid overall but the power consumption and its distribution is a disappointment and concern if using cheap-budget boards or critically going dual 480 - anyone doing that will need to check carefully.
TPU shows overall power consumption across all rails at 167W.
Tom's Hardware overall power consumption across all rails average at 164W - with Metro Last Light 4K
At Tom's the 1080FE power consumption in comparison is at 173W, but importantly Nvidia structure the power distribution better with the focus more on the PCIe rather than put stress-demand through the Mainboard 12V slot.

Here is how it breaks down for the 480, and why any dual setup needs to think about this:
18-Gaming-Bars.png

In summary:
AMD’s Radeon RX 480 draws an average of 164W, which exceeds the company's target TDP. And it gets worse. The load distribution works out in a way that has the card draw 86W through the motherboard’s PCIe slot. Not only does this exceed the 75W ceiling we typically associate with a 16-lane slot, but that 75W limit covers several rails combined and not just this one interface.

As a comparison the 1080FE at maximum draws 62W through the mainboard and average is 40W.

How this all pans out also including thermal and voltage (GPU) to clocks will be of great interest when it comes to OC.
Cheers

LOL not a single reviewer that I have read so far shows the card going lower than 130 watts.

How do they justify this over a 1060 for laptops/consoles is beyond me. 170w vs very likely 110

One performance summary has 1070 50% ahead of 480.

50% more performance, 15% less power

dude its going to get slaughtered against the 1060 when it comes to power consumption, unless nV really screws up which is not going to happen.

On a side note, when was the last time something like this happened, AKA rv680 launch. All the freakin hype that fans did just made a big disappointment at the end. At the price its a good card, but you aren't going to get any frills from it, bare bones, what ya see is what ya get.

I said in another thread that I thought AMD was going to have the lower performance bracket locked. Looks like I could be wrong.

Hats off to Kyle, it looks like you were right about the heat and power usage.

I still don't think that this card was intended for stock 980ti performance, as it has 32 rops and it shows in 1440p+, but there is no doubt that perf/watt is much worse than what everyone expected. Not sure if its GF or AMD.
160 watts? worse perf/watt than a 980 (a bit better than 970)? Some throttling (according to TPU)? Noise (although less than 980ti according to TPU)? dissapointing.

perf/$ is still currently the highest though. I wouldn't recommend anything else in the 200$-250$ range, but I was expecting ~100-120watts for basically the same performance.

Hats off to Kyle, it looks like you were right about the heat and power usage.

I still don't think that this card was intended for stock 980ti performance, as it has 32 rops and it shows in 1440p+, but there is no doubt that perf/watt is much worse than what everyone expected. Not sure if its GF or AMD.
160 watts? worse perf/watt than a 980 (a bit better than 970)? Some throttling (according to TPU)? Noise (although less than 980ti according to TPU)? dissapointing.

perf/$ is still currently the highest though. I wouldn't recommend anything else in the 200$-250$ range, but I was expecting ~100-120watts for basically the same performance.

I think 980-level performance at 130W would've been their goal.

Newegg has a reference Powercolor RX 480 and the Asus GTX 970 Strix both at $240.... hmm, decisions, decisions. Yeah right.

Back