From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility @ [H]

I keep my monitors for close to 3 or 4 generations of cards. And I think that is the typical norm as they tend to be a big purchase. How much are HDR monitors going to cost? You think a $200 card is the same person that will to buy an HDR monitor ?
They will be expensive at first for sure. But judging by history monitors tend to come down in price fairly quickly.

Its going to take some time, I would say about a year or so at least.
I tend to agree. Mainstream GPU users definitely don't upgrade their video cards once a year. In fact the whole thing is slowing down for us enthusiasts as well. With 4 years since the last die shrink, who knows when we'll see the next one.

I tend to agree. Mainstream GPU users definitely don't upgrade their video cards once a year. In fact the whole thing is slowing down for us enthusiasts as well. With 4 years since the last die shrink, who knows when we'll see the next one.

yeah that is true, its much harder to go down nodes now, but the good thing is, 10nm from what I'm hearing has very close ties to 14 and 16nm tech so we might be in luck for next gen cards.

AMD built the small chip to take on the high end but clock speeds didnt pan out.
So they repositioned it for the mid range.

NVidia will be using a chip that is half of a 1080 to compete.

You are smoking crack. Find me an article where amd ever said polaris was geared towards enthusiast market? Please let me know, all along they have said polaris will be mainstream performance market and vega will be high end. So once you get off the bandwagon and are ready to accept facts, then I welcome you to reality.

Tired of hearing bullshit fanboy claims. Nvidia went for high end first and nvidia turned their gtx 980 in to a 200 dollar card and decided to sell that. I know which one I would by if it is indeed 200. It is just insane the level of ignorance. There is one thing you like one company over other but its another to just spill bullshit all day.

AMD lost me when they didn't implement HDMI 2.0 on the Fury X and now they lost me again with this mainstream nonsense.

AMD isn't the GPU for 4K and VR users.
I have no idea who they are targeting as their ideal customer.

Targeting not hard core enthusiast. They can justify losing you and others over more market share and selling millions of these at 200 until vega. Sorry but they have been honest, their high end part will come later, polaris will be price/performance card designed to win market share. I don't know why you are hating them for telling the truth when they have stuck to it ever since polaris was announced.

Vega will be here as soon as HBM2 ramps up. I am sure they are ready on that end as well. It will be one hell of a chip if polaris is an indication.

Targeting not hard core enthusiast. They can justify losing you and others over more market share and selling millions of these at 200 until vega. Sorry but they have been honest, their high end part will come later, polaris will be price/performance card designed to win market share. I don't know why you are hating them for telling the truth when they have stuck to it ever since polaris was announced.

Vega will be here as soon as HBM2 ramps up. I am sure they are ready on that end as well. It will be one hell of a chip if polaris is an indication.

It's not about truth, it's about competition. Nvidia sold us a Founders Edition BS card because there's no competition in the high end!

How in the hell you think this it's a good thing, that the only competitor choose not to compete?

Find me an article where amd ever said polaris was geared towards enthusiast market?
You really need to get better sources than the Internet. Talking to people that work there will paint a fully different picture than the one you have in your head.

Koduri: Wide access for VR now. Not next month, not next year.... The product that delivers VR to the masses. Radeon RX480 at $199.

So I am to expect two 720p screens at 90fps each for $199? I got my HTC here just waiting for Polaris.

Wow, Raja just basically said that CrossFire works as good as a single card 1080 solution. We will of course test that, over and over and over.

Obviously Raja has never had a CrossFire system at home that he wanted to play the latest and greatest games on.

Did I see that wrong. I thought I saw 1.7x perf/watt on node alone, 2.8x perf/watt when you combine 14nm + architecture.

2.8 is for software labeled under the AMD technologies label, they have software under that label.

Ok, I'd have to go back and watch afterwards. It did say 1.7x on just the switch to 14nm though?

No they didn't specific it was just 14nm they just stated "with finfet.

Finfet alone should give 2.0 perf.watt increase that is what AMD, GF and Samsung stated (60% decrease with no changes)

regardless this shit is only 199, wtf is anyone complaining about here? LOL seriously anyone complaining 980 performance as 199 is down right insane. Seriously does anyone have an actual brain here or we are going to just find things wrong?

what was the 51% thing he was saying about the Dual 480? his accent is heavy.

gpu usage. It was using 51% gpu power at faster framerate and 1080 was using 98%. So pretty much radeon was being taxed alot less what he said. I am indian so I am good at understanding accents haha. Lot of relatives got it.

gpu usage. It was using 51% gpu power at faster framerate and 1080 was using 98%. So pretty much radeon was being taxed alot less what he said. I am indian so I am good at understanding accents haha. Lot of relatives got it.

so the 480 dual will push 40% more fps than 1080?

I think the RX480 will be a "VR card" just like Fury X and 980 Ti were "4K cards." Sure they could technically pull it off, but the experience sucked. Raja is writing a big big check with all this VR talk. I have my HTC waiting here.

If this things clock speed doesn't bounce around like a jack russel fucking terrier when I try to play games with a frame cap like world of warships I might get one so I can use my freesync again. I tried both a 390X and a 380X with that game and the GPU clocks (with ULPS/power savings off) dropped to 500mhz every 1-1.5 seconds causing horrible stuttering. Meanwhile, my GTX 970 is happy to just chug along at a constant 1100mhz instead of having a usage graph that looks like a flea comb.

so the 480 dual will push 40% more fps than 1080?
I do not think that is close to correct. Will have to watch again. We recorded it, and Steve is getting it uppped. We will have it at the top of the news for a couple of days for sure.

yea please give me those sources. I have had enough of people saying talking this and that. Vega was suppose to come out but delayed due to HBM2. Kyle I got respect for you man, but you sound like you just hate amd now. Seriously isn't this site about showing performance per dollar? You guys are known for that now all of sudden AMD Is the bad guy for bringing more power at 199? I really don't get you anymore. So I will probably refrain from directly commenting to your posts because sort of losing faith here. But I will stick around cuz I love the community here.
I agree with this. You would think anyone would be excited about this GPU only being $200. Whats with the hate?

I don't believe anything else. All I want to know is where this thing fuckin lands at 199, if it lands at 980 speeds of fury/nano, I think they deserve the money.

and how is just one 480 running faster than 1080. as much i like amd it makes no sense at all.

Who knows how they were testing it,.....

I don't think Sli or x fire work with AOTS, anyone else has info on this, I think they are using mGPU implicit, so it will be running SFR.

Seriously isn't this site about showing performance per dollar?
Hard to tell you about that when we do not cards to review.....but we will buy them and surely cover those.

You are getting editorial and reviews confused. I am not mad about anything. This is fun time. Three launches in 3 days. Pretty cool stuff.

You guys are known for that now all of sudden AMD Is the bad guy for bringing more power at 199?
Where the hell did I say anything close to that? You guys get your panties all sucked into your mangina and start making shit up! Just because I am not deepthroating like you, at least till we get hardware, don't tell me that we hate it. Jesus, I get an opinion and you guys go into a 3 day PMS stoke.

Bahahahahahahahha, dude that was fucking hilarious.

Zjd8kZF.jpg

lol I have no idea what the fuck this means. Kaduri should not be presenting shit, he kills all the fun. lol

i thought he was going to explain a litter bit more.
I think this is whats going to happen:
  • 480 4GB for $199
  • 480 8GB for $249
  • 480 duo 16GB $499?

I agree with this. You would think anyone would be excited about this GPU only being $200. Whats with the hate?

Because it's a budget card and not exciting. It doesn't push the envelope of...anything.

With my strong skepticism, maybe this could be another 4870 moment, bring down the price of the 1080 right after launch, just like the $650 GTX 280 that was slashed down to $499.
But I know the difference is that the 4870 competed with the GTX 280, but we are talking about DX12 and VR, so AMD isn't aiming for raw power, but for future features.

Kyle, remember the release of Eyefinity? Maybe AMD is targeting a niche. I still think this eliminates the high end customer, but this could call for NV price drops if AMD sells in high volume.

Yes, this is exciting now that I think of it.

Back