From AMD to Intel question.

lodingi

2[H]4U
I'm going to pass my Q6600 + IP35-E to my daughter's computer. She currently has an Athlon X2 4400+. I'd rather not format & do a complete reinstall, but I'm not sure if I will have issues. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

When switching motherboards it's always best to do a full reinstall. There are ways of getting around it (repair installation or sysprep), but I recommend that you just start fresh.

When switching motherboards it's always best to do a full reinstall. There are ways of getting around it (repair installation or sysprep), but I recommend that you just start fresh.

+1

Indeed, can save you allot of trouble down the line...Doing a reformat and install is not that much trouble anyway.

I agree with this if you are running Windows.

I have had (mostly) good luck switching motherboards while using Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

I have had it work once under windows....and it seemed to work pretty well but that might have been luck?

So far I am on mobo/cpu 3 with the same windows install. I reset the drive controller to the standard windows driver and move the drive. Sys prep would basically do the same thing. I think this time I will have to reinstall though. I'm going from an Opteron939 part to an i5. Bet your ass I'm gonna try the drive controller trick first. I'm not quite sure exactly what the commands are but I do know it is possible to show all hidden devices in the device manager so you can get any old driver remnants left behind.

I agree with this if you are running Windows.

I have had (mostly) good luck switching motherboards while using Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD.

I have had it work once under windows....and it seemed to work pretty well but that might have been luck?

I've had it work the last 4 times I did it. The new motherboard detected my RAID array as well... I still reformatted since the old drivers for the old hardware was still on the machine.

If you were just switching the CPU it would be no problem; however you're replacing something that requires many drivers.

You can get away with sysprep when changing motherboards.

But in a case where it is AMD to Intel I think a reformat would be better.

+1

For me, when I change my hardware, I always have backup of every installation, every document, file, folder, picture, music, and video in an external disk. It helps a lot, donnu if it even costs...I use my brother's, I have my own folder in it...

Yet, you can now find big memory sized Flash Memories, that would help too(but I'd rather use that as "My everywhere progs." instead. And copy everything else in an external disk.

Though, you could do something, or try at least...

Remove all the chipset\motherboard drivers, any hardware you're changing, remove it's software...Make sure you run CCleaner and clean up your registry and files, then install your new hardware. Works most of the time, unless you forget something.

TeeJay

Back