From 2.4 Intel to 939 AMD...Do I have What It Takes?!

afropuff

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I am thinking about going from a 2.4B Intel processor to a AMD64 3000 939 CPU. What do you all think of this choice? I was also wondering if the parts that I have now are going to be compatible/good for the new AMD. All my parts are in my sig. My PSU came w/my Cheiftec case, it is a TruePower 420W or something, stats on it are not too bad though, is this going to be enough power for the 3000+ ?

What about the HSF?? Is the retail good enough or should i get a custom one + OEM? I do not like really loud fans and if possible I would like to get a HSF combo that is about as quiet as my Intel Retail fan.

Thanks!!!!!

The 3000+ 939 is supposed to be a very good oc'er, so thats a good choice. You can use all of your parts, but you will need at least pc3200 ram. Get something good like Corsair XMS, Crucial Ballitix, or something with the Samsung BH-5 chips and you will be able to clock that thing pretty high. The fan that came with my 3200+ isn't bad and I didn't think it was too loud. My friend hears his 6800gt fan over the cpu one, but if you wanna oc it, get another one. I don't have any recomendations cuz I water cool now, but I know if you look you will find something good. Also, what mobo were you planning on getting?

I recommend the 3200+(for the 10x multi) and what is in my sig for everything else.

wow I need new memory..this is going to be a lot more expensive then I first thought. PC3200 isn't required is it?? I just need to put together a system real fast before I head back to college next week. I can use my PC2700 at stock speeds w/no problems right??

Also, was thinking of getting the Soltek, I saw good reviews on it over on the egg and anandtech. Reviews seem to be mixed for every 939 mobo.

Is the 3200 worth the extra $40 over the 3000 ??

To run at normal speed you will need pc3200 memory. All Athlon 64s use a 200 mhz bus. You could try and oc your memory to pc3200 speeds, or if the system will post, use a divider to get the ram speed lower while keeping the cpu clock the same. But if you want to use the cpu at the speed it was designed to run at, you will need pc3200

You can run PC2700 with a ram divider, and if it's SPD rated at 333 the board should boot up with a ram divider already enabled, so don't worry about it too much. While it's not the ideal choice, it'll work until you can upgrade to some samsung TCCD chips (BH-5 was made by winbond).

I was putting together a budget A64 system, and ended up going with the 3000+, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and PDP PC3200 2-2-2-5 memory ($220 for 2x512). I like the mobo a lot, and would recommend it if you're going to OC in the future.

I'd say for your system the 3200 isn't worth it over the 3000,

Thanks for the replies.

I may just get 2 x 256 of PC3200 and sell my PC2700 on ebay or something. And if I ever want to upgrade I can do that in the future, but 512mb of PC3200 should hold me over until I get some more money.

What is the difference between the K8N and K8T mobos from MSI. Is the nforce really that much better?

afropuff said:
wow I need new memory..this is going to be a lot more expensive then I first thought. PC3200 isn't required is it?? I just need to put together a system real fast before I head back to college next week. I can use my PC2700 at stock speeds w/no problems right??

Also, was thinking of getting the Soltek, I saw good reviews on it over on the egg and anandtech. Reviews seem to be mixed for every 939 mobo.

Is the 3200 worth the extra $40 over the 3000 ??

If you are going to be overclocking the Neo2 is the way to go. If you are going stock, go with whatever tickles your fancy.

Your PC2700 will work fine. You'll see a 10-12% performace delta between the CPU with PC2700 and PC3200. Simply overclocking to 2GHz (184MHz Ram, 222FSB) would more than make up for the difference between your system with PC3200 and your stock setup.

For the most part you wont notice the difference. My system got an overclocking failed last week and I wasn't really paying attention. So I've been running at 1600MHz and ram at PC2100 speeds for the past week and I didn't even notice a difference.

Metsfan your last post made total sense but the previous will leave our friend confused if he doesnt know his ram too well.
Corsair XMS, Crucial Ballitix, or something with the Samsung BH-5
First off samsung makes TCCD chips NOT BH-5. BH-5 is a thing of the past since windbonds plant closed down. Crucial ballistix uses neither chips but do use micron chips which is their parent company.

Motherboard wise I'd recomend something that uses the nforce3 Ultra chipset. Two good ones out are the MSI NEO2 Platinum. Another contender that doesn't give great volt options is the Epox 9NDA3+ or the 9NDA3J. This may be of help to you http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47496 I hop all that helps you out and remember you can always purchase new ram later.

Cpt Twitchy said:
Metsfan your last post made total sense but the previous will leave our friend confused if he doesnt know his ram too well.

First off samsung makes TCCD chips NOT BH-5. BH-5 is a thing of the past since windbonds plant closed down. Crucial ballistix uses neither chips but do use micron chips which is their parent company.

Motherboard wise I'd recomend something that uses the nforce3 Ultra chipset. Two good ones out are the MSI NEO2 Platinum. Another contender that doesn't give great volt options is the Epox 9NDA3+ or the 9NDA3J. This may be of help to you http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47496 I hop all that helps you out and remember you can always purchase new ram later.

When you say new ram you mean PC3200 right?

It has been concluded that my PC2700 will post and work w/the 3000+ correct?

Thanks again!

afropuff said:
When you say new ram you mean PC3200 right?

It has been concluded that my PC2700 will post and work w/the 3000+ correct?

Thanks again!
Your 2700 will work.
You'll want to upgrade to a gig eventually so just switch over to pc3200 (or pc4600-pc4800) when you get the money. When you do switch you'll be able to bump the cpu that much higher :)

Kueller said:
Your 2700 will work.
You'll want to upgrade to a gig eventually so just switch over to pc3200 (or pc4600-pc4800) when you get the money. When you do switch you'll be able to bump the cpu that much higher :)

cool thanks for the advice everyone!

I decided to stick w/my PC2700 for now but upgrade in the near future. I just need to have a system ready to go before I head back to college next week.

I ordered the 3000+ and the MSI neo2 nforce mobo - this will be my first AMD system.

Thanks again!!

Good choice on motherboard and processor.

When I was speaking about ram, yes I was speaking about pc3200 stuff. If/when you upgrade your ram get some killer pc3200 that will over clock or something of a higher rating for a more assured oc.

The upgrade you are planning should be fine. Your DDR333 will work with that system, along with everything else. I use DDR333 in my A64 3000(s754) system and it works fine by all means. Eventually though, you will want to upgrade to PC3200 RAM

Back