Frigid liquid cooling?

infin@

Gawd
Just a query to all....seeing as how their are multiple types of coolants that can be utilized in a pc cooling set up. Some have lower freezing temperatures than water ie. fluid Xp, I think it freezes at around -20C...Anyway was wondering if anyone is running liquid close to the freezing point of water? Through a freezer, maybe out your window (it is winter after all). Pictures would be great. Thanks.

i just open the window and let the rad fans suck in the cold air through the rad.. lowest i've seen is 7c idle at 3.1ghz, 1.74v on an AM2 sempron

coolant is probably 20% antifreeze, 80% water

there are lots of people who run chilled water loops.... they us AC components..

freezers will burnout as they are not meant to be ran 24/7 either condensor is only on for short periods of time and the heat dump of a PC would cause the condensor to run all the time.

was thinking of buying some more hose and placing the rad outside my window, just not sure at the moment if my pump could handle it + I like the heat that my pc gives off, helps keep my room toasty :D

From what I've read, a bong cooler (evaporater) will go sub-ambient, which sounds like what you're after. Phase or AC sounds too much like a PITA to me.

alan.p said:
From what I've read, a bong cooler (evaporater) will go sub-ambient, which sounds like what you're after. Phase or AC sounds too much like a PITA to me.

Bong coolers are messy and require constant maintenance. Besides, they won't cool below ambient when you add a good heat load onto it - not to mention the algae problem or chemical fumes if you run it inside your room.

Take a look at some aquarium water chillers - those are designed to run 24/7. Also, if you don't mind wasting electricity there are a fair number of peltier based water cooling components out there.

thanks guys, I actually got the idea after going to an pet store and looking at various cooling apparatus. Thanks for the ideas fellas, not to familiar with bong coolers....time for some more research :(

Go buy a big cooler and a window unit AC. Pull the condensor out of the AC and put it in the cooler. Run your waterlines to the cooler like it's a big reservior. Easy sub-ambient water chiller.

Swiftech has a chiller kit which uses pelt plates to chill the liquid. It's very compact, and of course, doesn't require klunky compression units. It is a bit pricey though, but worth it I think.

infin@ said:
thanks guys, I actually got the idea after going to an pet store and looking at various cooling apparatus. Thanks for the ideas fellas, not to familiar with bong coolers....time for some more research :(
Don't bother researching bongs. They were cutting edge back when watercooling was still in its infancy. Since then, sub-ambient cooling has moved waaaaaay beyond them. Start reading about chillers in the extreme cooling section, and on some other cooling sites.

Back