friends rampage 4 extreme connecting the 4 and 8 pin power at same time

Cube

[H]ard|Gawd
My friend who lives away from me just get a rampage 4 extreme and he has been asking me questions on video chat.

He insist that he want to plug the old pentuim 4 eatx12v_1 connector and the new 8 pin eatx12v_1 power conenctors at the same time to make sure his chip has enough "power".

I Keep telling him that it might just be there for compatablity reasons and he only has to use the 8pin power suppoly connector and putting both on might damage the board by powering it too much.

But I am not 100% sure and am not going to find out by connecting both on my rampage 4 extreme.

So I is it safe to do it or should I warn him this weekend when he starts to do this that it will overvolt/over watt his board or will it just ignore the power from the extra connector?

they are the 2 power connectors at the top he wants to plug in at the same time.

c51cf9ea_Capture2.jpeg

Last edited:
It is completely safe to plug in both connectors. While only the 8 pin is needed, the extra connector can supply extra power in heavily overclocked situations. Your friend probably doesn't need to plug in the 4 pin, but it certainly won't hurt. The system will only draw as much power as it needs. There is no such thing as"powering it too much".

It is safe to use both connectors at the same time. Actually it's recommended in some cases. (Extreme overclocking for example.) Many boards use dual 8-pin CPU power cables to provide more voltage for overclocking. The Rampage IV Extreme does this as well but for whatever reason ASUS opted to use the older 4-pin connector instead of dual 8-pin connectors. I even said as much in the review as I didn't like that.

I actually spoke to ASUS about this once during one of the HardOCP / AMD events. Evidently I'm one of the only people who didn't like this choice. I believe their reasoning was that having 2 8 pin connectors on a PSU was less likely than having a single 8 pin and one 4 pin. I don't understand this as several PSU's I've owned allow you to split the 8 pin connectors into legacy 4 pin connectors to address this very issue making it a non-issue. Even if you didn't do that adapters exist (cheaply I might add) to resolve this problem. So there is no problem. I guess I like symmetry but ASUS decided against it for whatever reason.

Ohh ok cool then maybe I will plug in my other socket too now then thanks.

Back