friends having a lan part but one thing missing

Mikesta

2[H]4U
D-Link 5-Port 10/100 Ethernet/Fast Ethernet Dual-Speed Switch

Model: DSS-5+

High-performance networking begins with this 5-port switch. Build either a 10 or 100 Mbps network to play games, share the Interne3t and more.

^ Im looking at that one think its worth the 29.99?

Does it give out different ips to each port?

The job of a switch is to facilitate communication, not hand out IP addresses. Handing out IP addresses is the job of a DHCP server. If you're looking for a little DHCP server in a box, get a small residential router. It will provide both the switch and the DHCP server you are looking for, but will be more expensive.

You can always assign IP addresses manually and avoid the whole DHCP hassle.

You think that switch will lag if more then 3 people are constantly gaming on it?

as long as nobody is transfering files an old 10mbit hub wont lag...

most games use very little bandwith for network games...

its only when you introduce file sharing smaller non-managed switches with small backplanes and hubs will probably lag...

for a small lan no, it shouldent lag...

individual pc's may lag if you start transfering files

Originally posted by Mikesta
D-Link 5-Port 10/100 Ethernet/Fast Ethernet Dual-Speed Switch

Model: DSS-5+

High-performance networking begins with this 5-port switch. Build either a 10 or 100 Mbps network to play games, share the Interne3t and more.

^ Im looking at that one think its worth the 29.99?

Does it give out different ips to each port?

I own this switch and it works great for me. Spead up online gameplay and has dedicated bandwidth to each port so it's a plus. I haven't had more than two machines running on it though so I'm not sure if it starts to lagg at all. I haven't hosted a lan in my room yet either so i'm not sure how the lagg is. But it's a nice switch for the money.

what you could do also for the dhcp / router problem is if one of your buddies has an old machine that isn't used or can be converted into a linux machine then you could set that up as the default gateway that would hand out ip's for you and share the internet, and act as your router.

what'd you'd need is atleast a 4 gig hdd and a copy of a linux distro which can be found as www.linuxiso.org . I prefer redhat 9.0 myself. And then you'd need to burn the .iso of the distro as an image. I prefer to use nero 6.0 to do this. Once you go through the installation setup the two nic cards that you'll need as eth0 (wan) with a dynamically assigned ip from your isp and eth1 (lan) with either a class A class B or class C network. I use class A.

netmask 10.0.0.0 with subnet 255.255.255.0

and a range of 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.253 on the lan

I can give you my /etc/dhcpd.conf file if you want it. You'll just have to find your domain name server addresses that are provided by your isp.

and then get a copy of firestarter (your firewall and also what you'll use for iptables) you can find this at http://firestarter.sourceforge.net

I am running these switches up in my room and we don't do a lot of online gaming but we do a lot of file sharing and video serving between my server and the 7 other PC's around the house.
switches.jpg

As a test of the bandwith, I had each computer play the same movie at different parts at the same time as well as 7 different movies from the same drive and 7 different movies from 7 different drives. No computer stuttered at all.

Back