friends generic PSU went bye bye.

Woo hoo!!!! Sweet!

He needed a new board, though. ;) Really... :p

Today I put a Codegen "550W" on the load tester. I put only a 300W load on it for "starters." The PSU wouldn't even TURN ON!!!!! I lowered the load to just under 200W and it fired up. I then turned the 12V back up to about 18A and the 5V up to about 20A which got me just over 300W with all of the other rails also under some sort of load and... POP!!!! A big blue flame shot out of the back and it shut down.

I'm going to have to set up a video camera and film some of this crap some time. It's almost as humorous as it is sad. :D
 
Thats why I never build a machine with a cheapo PSU, they maybe cheap up front, but something like that costs more in the long run.

Cool stuff though, always fun to see carnage.
 
What was your friend doing when the psu fried? Well, at least now your friend can purchase a reputable psu, a newer mobo & HD.
 
Back
Top