Friend's connection is lagging horribly, resetting his modem fixes it temporarily

Kurak

Limp Gawd
He has comcast cable in Illinois. His modem is hooked to a wireless router, but even the computer wired directly to the router has the problem, so it's not the wireless, and I'm fairly certain it's not the router, because it happens less at night. But why does it go away for 5 mins everytime he resets his modem? Any help is appreciated.

I've seen this happen a few times, here is what were the causes for the various times i have seen it:

Bad Router
Bad Modem
Bad cable run to the modem

id go for bad modem/bad signal to modem...sometimes the cable companies need to run to their racks and give them a quick kick in the ass (power cycle) when they get wedged.

Thats the other advantage to dsl...phone co's have regulated uptimes mandated by the FCC and alot of their equipment is tied together so it barely ever goes down, and if it does you dont notice it.

Everytime I've had this problem it was the cable itself, always outside of the house. The worst it ever got it would completely disconnect at night and never sync again until the morning. When I finally got a tech out and demanded he replace the cable run from the line to the house, it had been spliced together 6 times on the pole end by the previous techs who just did a band-aid on the line, and squirrels had eaten the sheathing for breakfast. Replaced the wire and ran fine ever since. Another time it was a neighbor who had spliced into the line stealing cable, but used crappy quality wire which caused a lot of interference to be pumped into the line.

In short, call the cable co. and have a tech come out and check the signal, I'd bet theres bunk wire somewhere that needs replacing.

What's the signal strength page say? Will you be telling us the model/brand of the modem, or is this one of the five-star problems?

Hey guys. His cable company said it was a line problem, and they probably messed something up when putting the line in. He's getting a technician on Saturday. Ty for your responses.

Back