• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Friend needs help upgrading his graphics card...

TeeJay

Gawd
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
564
His system:

Mainboard :Asus STRIKER II FORMULA
Chipset :nVidia nForce 780i SLI SPP
Processor :Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory :8192 MB (4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card :NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2

He's looking to upgrade his GFX...Although all he does is CSS, and I'm more than sure that the 9800 GX2 is enough to run CSS at a very high FPS...

I could've told him what he should get...I suggested a 5770 since I have one and I get around 299(max) FPS around 80% of the playing time...

Except for it's his motherboard what's worrying me...Can he run an ATI card on it? I'm not really sure about that...Never got through such situations, but just making sure since I'm not really sure of it...

Can he run an ATI card on his current MoBo?

Thanks in advance

Tj
 
he can run an ATI card just fine (just no crossfire option) but why upgrade to a 5770? that is something of an upgrade if the 9800GX2 is giving an issue but not a worthwhile one if its playing the game well. what resolution is he playing at?
 
Going from a 9800GX2 to a 5770 isn't an upgrade.

Yes, his motherboard will run an AMD card fine. Not Crossfire, though.

I have no idea why he wants to get something better than what he has now if he only plays CSS. Seems like a waste of money to me, unless there's something wrong with the card or he can't stand the stutter.

Also, how much money is he willing to spend?
 
Going from a 9800GX2 to a 5770 isn't an upgrade.

Yes, his motherboard will run an AMD card fine. Not Crossfire, though.

I have no idea why he wants to get something better than what he has now if he only plays CSS. Seems like a waste of money to me, unless there's something wrong with the card or he can't stand the stutter.

Also, how much money is he willing to spend?

+1

I'd suggest an 5870, anything else and he wouldnt probably notice, BUT thats if he is playing something a bit more modern than CSS.
 
Thanks for the replies guys...

I've told him what you guys said already...But he says that the 9800 GX2 isn't enough...

If the 9800 GX2 is in the performance range of a 250 GTS then all he's gonna notice is 20-25%...

I think he's gonna go after a 5870 then

Thanks for the help guys...Appreciate it a lot =)

Tj
 
wait hangon....all he does really is CSS?
he can get anything and it will be good.
Even my old old old 7800GS AGP could run it pretty much maxed.
Don't spend $400 and get a HD5870....that would be a complete waste!
for $150 odd bucks you could just get a GTX260 or HD4870
 
Thanks for the replies guys...

I've told him what you guys said already...But he says that the 9800 GX2 isn't enough...

If the 9800 GX2 is in the performance range of a 250 GTS then all he's gonna notice is 20-25%...

I think he's gonna go after a 5870 then

Thanks for the help guys...Appreciate it a lot =)

Tj

well it is something of an upgrade, a 9800GX2 doesn't necessarily produce the best game play, it was really more of a benchmarking card. and the 512mb buffer can be an issue with some of the newer games, but I should have asked this up front, what exactly is it he finds lacking? does he want more FPS for some reason or smoother game play? that is about the only reason I could see for that upgrade (well, heat and power as well) if he isn't needing DX11
 
If the 9800 GX2 is in the performance range of a 250 GTS then all he's gonna notice is 20-25%...
A 9800GX2 has higher framerates than a 4870, and most of the time keeps up with a 275/280. The only things he can upgrade to where he will see any gains are 5850, 285, 2870, 295, and 5970. And what exactly is not good enough in his card?
 
Thanks for the replies guys

He says he wants more FPS, smoother game play and stuff...I know that'll he get that even if he upgraded to a 5770...

I've noticed lots of things when I upgraded from 250 GTS to 5770, flash bangs were different, FPS increase of 100+, I could see from long distances now, everything is smooth and colors are better...

Thanks for the help guys =)

Teejay
 
Thanks for the replies guys

He says he wants more FPS, smoother game play and stuff...I know that'll he get that even if he upgraded to a 5770...

I've noticed lots of things when I upgraded from 250 GTS to 5770, flash bangs were different, FPS increase of 100+, I could see from long distances now, everything is smooth and colors are better...

Thanks for the help guys =)

Teejay

Your friend's 9800 GX2 is basically 2 GTS 250's downclocked in SLI, so to compare his upgrade to yours doesn't really work.

It realy isn't worth any sort of upgrade just for that game.
 
So many people in these forums offer horrible video card upgrading advice. Why on earth would someone who spent likely 500 on a 9800 GX2 go for a 150 sub card that likely can't hit the same performance.

Use your head people.
 
So many people in these forums offer horrible video card upgrading advice. Why on earth would someone who spent likely 500 on a 9800 GX2 go for a 150 sub card that likely can't hit the same performance.

Use your head people.
Oh, so that's fine, then. We'll just offer him a 5870. FFS, he wants to play Counterstrike! Even my 9600 Pro could play CSS!
 
So many people in these forums offer horrible video card upgrading advice. Why on earth would someone who spent likely 500 on a 9800 GX2 go for a 150 sub card that likely can't hit the same performance.

Use your head people.

because a lot of people don't like the 9800GX2 sometimes uneven game play? lot of people don't notice it but it bugs the hell out of others. quite a few people sold theirs and bought a GTX260 and were happy with it. I really didn't see a need for him to upgrade but if its bugging him then a 5770 would be fine. (and just what do you think that "500 dollar" card is really worth? you can put two 8800gt in your system for a buck 40. ) and given the uneven nature of the 9800GX2 you could easily argue that the 5770 and the GTX260 both perform better.
 
waste of money to get a new video card if he's playing CSS. I say spend his money on a new monitor.
 
Back
Top