friend needs a new gpu, better then a 770 reference

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
A friend of mine is about to have a kid and is in full panic mode when it comes to money, He occasionally games with me and his cousin (my best friend) I am sending him a care package of baby shit, and my wife is crocheting some cute shit. But I want to get him a new GPU, Me and his cousin agreed on splitting the cost. Im not looking to buy him a 1070, but something that is a notice upgrade for something like WoW and Black desert. Whats the best cost effective upgrade? maybe like a 1050ti/1060?

TLDR
Friend needs an upgrade over a GTX 770 reference
Getting him a new gpu

Last edited:
on the egg, the 3rd party sellers are charging a huge markup. 399 + for a 1060. I just bought the same card a week ago for 256 shipped from there (6 gig version)

For the money, a 1050 Ti won't be a huge upgrade over the 770. The 1060 (even the 3GB) will be, though there's a large price jump on that as well...

The 780 is about 15-25% better than the 770. The 970 is a little better than the 780/Ti. The 1050 Ti is just about 960 level. The 1060 3GB should be about 980 level.

a 1050ti wont be much of an upgrade in terms of performance, but would be smaller, cooler, quieter, and use less power. a 1060 would be all of those things and a good bit faster.

Take a look at this and then note you should jump up two tiers to notice a reasonable enough improvement to warrant upgrading (IMO).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

I think your brother and you should look for a different gift. The sentiment is nice, but with video card prices currently (because of the miner craze) there isn't a viable option considering the parameters you mentioned.

If you'd be willing to spend $450 to $480 you could buy a 1080, but only because their prices aren't inflated since they aren't that efficient for mining. Every thing for less money, and more efficient than a 1080 is being gobbled up by miners and sells for 2x (or more) retail.

Even the 1080s are all above $550 right now. Probably higher demand from people selling 1070s and upgrading. Some of the 1080s are approaching 1080ti pricing at this point even for used cards.

you have to buy graphics cards local in brick and mortar stores these days to avoid the bullshit prices and sold out stuff.....is there a best buy or micro center trype store near you? When i bought mine everything online was sold out....so i drove 2 miles and found one local at msrp lol

I ended up doing a number of upgrades. RX 480 --> GTX 1070 --> 1080 --> 1080 Ti (just ordered). Made money on each step up as the mining craze heated up (except for the last one where I had to add money). Throw in about $150 mined with the cards over the last 1.5 months or so, I basically went from a RX 480 Nitro to a 1080 Ti for like $20 thanks to ethereum.

Edit: More on point to the topic, I think that the market for graphics cards is too insane right now to get a cost effective upgrade. Like others have mentioned most things are selling at >MSRP. Might need to wait until the cryptocurrency market drops a bit.

Im not looking to buy him a 1070, but something that is a notice upgrade for something like WoW and Black desert.

What motherboard is he running? Is this a custom system or some random HP or Dell? If it can support SLI, check into maybe picking up a second 770. WoW has fantastic SLI support (even 3-way SLI which is what i'm running at the moment). Older cards with less VRam aren't really what miners are going for, so a used 770 as a second card should be literally dirt cheap. Otherwise check out other older cards. A cheap used 780Ti for example wouldn't be a terrible upgrade from a single 770.

I am very glad i got a geforce 1080 for 439 a few weeks ago. Right now, i am sorry i didnt order two.

I am very glad i got a geforce 1080 for 439 a few weeks ago. Right now, i am sorry i didnt order two.
Loving my xfx rx580 as well...bought it for 259 off the shelf from best buy. I could probably sell it for a hundred dollar profit of I needed the money.:sneaky:

Check out your local Best Buy. They might have the best deal and maybe the best stock if you also have a Fry's or Micro Center in the area.

Check out your local Best Buy. They might have the best deal and maybe the best stock if you also have a Fry's or Micro Center in the area.
Convient to return or rma as well....which in this case would be ideal

Loving my xfx rx580 as well...bought it for 259 off the shelf from best buy. I could probably sell it for a hundred dollar profit of I needed the money.:sneaky:

I am not knocking that at all, i was just mad because i was holding out for vega but amd was not sharing any details on what it was going to cost or be available for purchase. Now seeing that its $1200 im glad i got a geforce 1080. In 1080p gaming, i found my 4gb rx 480s to be just fine. In VR that was another story.

I am not knocking that at all, i was just mad because i was holding out for vega but amd was not sharing any details on what it was going to cost or be available for purchase. Now seeing that its $1200 im glad i got a geforce 1080. In 1080p gaming, i found my 4gb rx 480s to be just fine. In VR that was another story.
That's Vega workstation, Vega gaming prices haven't been announced. Supposedly by end of July we'll know prices on Vega consumer cards.

Echoing sentiments largely from here. Right now there isn't an online, reasonably priced upgrade that is less than $500. I would also really recommend the suggestion of trying brick and mortar stores for cards to avoid crazy resell markups, but supply is pretty thin.

For what you should consider...min is new 570 or take a look at a used 970 if you can find one for less than $200. Moderate OC on a 970 will keep up pretty well with a 1060 6GB.

If he's looking for WoW, a 1050Ti will do fine with mid to high settings at 1080p. A 1060 will max out 1080p, and a 1070 will nearly max a 1440p monitor.

A 980 4gb is basicly a tad faster then a 1060 3gb card. Max out 1080 monitors no prob. Though personally id want 6gbs for 1440 monitors. So if he's planing on upgrading his monitor in a year grab a 1070 or 1080 locally.

Yeah used prices are crazy right now haha.. could sell off my 2 evga 1080 classifieds for $1100 and the 2 ek 780ti water blocks for another $200+ and sell my sons 980s for $200 ea and buy up 2 1080ti's and still have a chunk of cash left over!

MicroCenter is a bust. They've raised their prices through the roof because of the mining and they STILL can't keep shit in stock. $500 1070s and $300+ 1060s sell out every day. I was lucky enough to get my EVGA 1070 FTW2 pricematched to Best Buy's EVGA SC for $399.

My microcenter still has 1080's for 424.

Lowest by me is $515 for a Zotac 1080, or $480 for a Zotac 1070. Sure you're not looking at open box items? If you look at Microcenter's inventory for ALL stores, their cheapest is $499, and that's for a refurb FE.

They have zero in stock to ship. Every card is local pickup only. MOST people don't have a microcenter local to them.

If he's looking for WoW, a 1050Ti will do fine with mid to high settings at 1080p. A 1060 will max out 1080p, and a 1070 will nearly max a 1440p monitor.

A 1070 should able to easily max out a 1440p@60 in WoW. My FuryX does right now with a little room to spare, so I can't imagine a 1070 having any issues at all.

my MC has GTX 980's refurbed for $220+tax. Not sure if that will work for op...?

A 1070 should able to easily max out a 1440p@60 in WoW. My FuryX does right now with a little room to spare, so I can't imagine a 1070 having any issues at all.

Agreed but it's also CPU dependant for raids. In fact, I have a 1070 myself for WoW, and I'm about to purchase a 1440 or 4K.

But he listed other games and I'm not going to make assumptions on games I don't have experience with ;)

Back