• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Friend having Computer Problems (DVD Drive)

jfnirvana292

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Apr 9, 2002
Messages
1,787
Heres what he said:

Ok, so I have a custom build PC (not that the specs make a difference):
-Asus A8V-E Motherboard w/an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice CPU
-OCZ Premier 2x 512MB PC3200 w/copper heat spreader
-ATi Radeon X700 Pro PCI Express x16 video card
-SoundBlaster Audigy 2 sound card
-Hauppauge Win-TV PVR-150
-Lite-on SOHW-1673S dual layer DVD burner
-Windows XP w/SP2 and all updates

I can copy DVDs w/zero problems. I've been using DVD Decryptor/DVD Shrink to copy some for friends, so they keep the original in good condition.
Problem is, whenver I try to make a custom DVD (like a TV show I recorded) or heck even play a DVD straight from the box, the program crashes. I use Cyberlink PowerDVD as the player, because that's what came with the dvd burner. Both Cyberlink and Windows Media Player crash whenever I try to play a DVD. Whenver I try to work w/the crappy Windows Movie Maker, it crashes when I try to resave the compressed version of what I was working on. Whenever I watch TV using SnapStream BeyondTV, if I try to resize the window, it crashes. Whenever I try to watch a recorded show back to back, Snapstream crashes. If I try to play a .wav file, WMP crashes. Guys, this is just unexceptable in my book. I keep the system healthy, everything to my knowledge is up to date. Antivirus/antispyware is being used. Any help w/this problem would be appreciated

I said that it sounds like a software issue, but to make sure try the drive in another computer, with a to be known working cable to eliminate any possiblity it's a hardware problem.

IF that doesnt work i said he could try to put the drive in the different IDE ports, make sure the drive is set to slave, in DMA mode not PIO, maybe look for updated chipset drivers for the motherboard... can you guys think of anything else he could try?
 
Also, someone said that burners shoudl ALWAYS be set to master drives... is this true? I always set my optical drives as slaves, hard drives as master drives.
 
Also,i told my friend that since he flashed the firmware on his drive and his drive doesnt work now, warranty probably wont cover it.. but he's arguing with me saying it's fine and should still be under warranty ? Anyone know warranty issues with flashing the firmware of drives?
 
I'm the friend. Thanks for watching my back Jess :)

You must have misunderstood me. The drive still functions...the drive recognizes that I've inserted a DVD, I select the program I want to use to load. Program loads, program crashes. CDs still play. I can burn CD-R's/RWs, I can burn DVD+R/RWs. The firmware update from Lite-on shouldnt make a dang bit of difference if I update it. They provide it for everyone to update their drive...if they didn't want you to update the drive, they wouldn't post it...right? :)

Anyways, any help fixing this thing would be appreciated. I'm at a loss as to what to do...tempted to format and start from scratch at this point.
-Nick
 
Back
Top