Friend can't ping router but I can?

mtx

Gawd
I gave him my old D-Link DI-624, worked when I last used it, but somehow he can't login to the router through the web browser? I took it back today to test it and it still works on my computer. He tried it on his laptop, still won't work.

What am I missing? Some Windows settings?

Does he have a static IP configured to something different than the router's information?

It should work on "Obtain automatically" which was what it was set as on default.

I also got him to set it to 192.168.0.x, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.0.1, still no go.

Works fine for me though

Tried PC + Laptop already.

He's on direct connection for Internet right now so the cable + NIC should work.

HIs cable modem is registered to his nic right now. Unplug the cable modem from the electric outlet for like 3 mins, this will release the mac addess is tied to right now. Plug the cable modem back without plugging any network cables. After the modem has synced with the ISP plug in the router and now he should be able to connect to the internet.

HIs cable modem is registered to his nic right now. Unplug the cable modem from the electric outlet for like 3 mins, this will release the mac addess is tied to right now. Plug the cable modem back without plugging any network cables. After the modem has synced with the ISP plug in the router and now he should be able to connect to the internet.

That won't stop his PC from being able to connect to the routers LAN interface though.

He's just trying to connect to the router....not adding any internet or other stuff into the equation yet

You ever have anything funky set up in that router like IP reservation or MAC filtering? I'd just do a factory reset on the thing to be sure.

Also, your title says he can't ping, but your post says he can't connect to it in his browser. Which is the case? Is he getting an IP if he does cmd > ipconfig? Does he have a default gateway?

You ever have anything funky set up in that router like IP reservation or MAC filtering? I'd just do a factory reset on the thing to be sure.

Also, your title says he can't ping, but your post says he can't connect to it in his browser. Which is the case? Is he getting an IP if he does cmd > ipconfig? Does he have a default gateway?

It's been hard reset multiple times and no he can't ping it either. Shouldn't 192.168.0.1 be default gateway?

It's been hard reset multiple times and no he can't ping it either. Shouldn't 192.168.0.1 be default gateway?

If the router has a default LAN IP of 192.168.0.1.....yes, that will become the default gateway for its clients if their TCP is set to obtain auto.

You can always ping a device...it's wether you get a reply or not that's the key! ;)

Run an IPCONFIG /ALL on a client behind the router. What are the results?

set him to 192.168.1.1 ... From my experience, they're 192.168.1.x based, not 0.x

Worst case, just hold the reset button in, power it on (while holding reset), wait 30s, and reboot it.

Can he get an IP with DHCP? If so, is his windows firewall on? If he can't get an address with DHCP, it sounds like his TCP/IP stack may be hosed.

Based on the fact that he can't ping or access the HTTP interface it means hes not getting an IP. If the router has been factory reset it should automatically be handing default IP range.

Try opening the Command Prompt and tryping

ipconfig /release

To if it release whatever settings is has held then

ipconfig /renew

to renew an IP lease

you can also trying Flushing the DNS Cache

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Check to see if he has Windows Firewall on, if he does by default it block all ICMP which prevent you from pinging or being pinged. To test this disable Windows Firewall and attempt to ping another computer or the router on the network.

Does he have his NIC set to a manual IP address?
Ive had friends do that, they will set a .1.x address and changed routers which were setup to .0.x
Have your friend got to run ->cmd ->ipconfig /all and see what he gets for a ip address.

Back