Friend a Moron. Please back me up

ilkhan

[H]F Junkie
My firend is a moron...I think.

He says he has an Athlon 64, 3000+
Fine so far.

Says he is using PC3200 ram. No problem.

Says he is running 2 512MB sticks in dual channel. Um?
Says he has a 1600Mhz FSB. Um?
Says he gets 200+ FPS in Planetside. Not sure what card...but WTF?!

Back me up here.

The 1600mhz FSB is a sales gimmick. It's really only 200mhz, just like Intel says it has a "quad pumped" 800mhz FSB, it's really just 200mhz.

Not familiar with planetside. I've heard of it, but have never played it.

He's definitely not running dual channel, but he may think he is just because he bought two sticks of "dual channel" memory.

the FSB = Connection speed between the CPU and the memory controller. The memory controller used to be controlled by the northbridge, but is now integrated into the CPU and accessed by the Hypertransport link, which runs at 1600mhz. So he IS right, his FSB IS 1600mhz, but the regular bus speed is just 200mhz.

I think your friend is pretty much correct with what he is saying with the exception of the ram. But even that sounds like an honest mistake, like somone above said, he probably bought dual sticks and doesn't realize that it doesnt run dual channel.

Never played Planetside, so have no idea about the FPS he is getting, but if it is like most modern games, it is more dependant on the video card itself. So, without knowing what vidcard he has, there is really no way to dispute his claim. And to top it off, even if you did know the video card, you would still have to know what resolution and detail settings he is playing with to find a comparable number.

Originally posted by Mojo
The 1600mhz FSB is a sales gimmick. It's really only 200mhz, just like Intel says it has a "quad pumped" 800mhz FSB, it's really just 200mhz.

I am not quite sure how accurate your statement is for AMD or Intel. AMD has said time and time again, that there is no "FSB" as we know it anymore because it is all on chip. But the equivalent to that for simplicity's sake, is still called FSB because it is doing pretty much the same thing.

In either case, there is a difference for both companies, between the BUS speed and the Front Side Bus(multiple of). So it is a bit more than just a marketing gimmick. If I find a link later explaining FSB I will post it for you.

Im 99% sure he is running like 640 or 800 and minimum detail settings (HEY! If you turn off grass you can see poeple who are trying to hide in it!). His graphics card is a 9800Pro I think. So possible...but 200+ is a hell of a lot of FPS for PS you know?

He had soem other dumbass remark he make but I dont remember what it was...I know it was wrong...

He bags about having a 64 bit CPU...the rest of us laugh at him cause he doesn't use 1/2 of those bits...um...

he could be looking at the face of a mountain with lowest detail settings on planetside and getting 200 fps and thinks hes cool, he probably has dual channel rated ram but it can't run dual channel if you no something about 754 pin. I'd also like to see a ss of him looking at the side of a mountain trying to get 200 fps lol

The way I understand it is that with the current A64s, there is no more FSB because the northbridge is integrated into the chip. Now there are like 2 buses. One is the Hyper-Transport bus at 800mHz for AGP and I/O while there is separate memory bus operating at only DDR400 speed. The multiplier is also based off the memory bus. The Hyper-Transport bus is not influenced by the memory bus. The guys at lostcircuits tried to increase the HT clock and it didn't influence cpu clock at all. So if you are ocing an A64, you are ocing the memory bus, not the HT bus.

So technically, if they increase the HT bus, they won't need to raise the requirement of DDR400 ram.

your friend is wrong about the FSB. There is no FSB, since technically it's running at cpu clock speed. He's just referring to the HyperTransport link. It is possible to get 200+ fps in Planetside. It is DirectX 8.1 and maybe he set it to like 800x600 no AA or AS.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=264072

Originally posted by GLSauron
He bags about having a 64 bit CPU...the rest of us laugh at him cause he doesn't use 1/2 of those bits...um...

But he does have insane floating point power.

Although he is wasting it if he plays at 800x600... crank up the goodies!

Originally posted by GLSauron
Im 99% sure he is running like 640 or 800 and minimum detail settings (HEY! If you turn off grass you can see poeple who are trying to hide in it!). His graphics card is a 9800Pro I think. So possible...but 200+ is a hell of a lot of FPS for PS you know?

He had soem other dumbass remark he make but I dont remember what it was...I know it was wrong...

I'm sure he'll be laughing right back at you when 64-bit windows is affordable and you all still have your 32-bit setups. :p

actually FSB on A64 are running at core speed since northbridge is on CPU. Not sure about the a64 but my Opteron Has FSB of 2.3 ghz although I run only 400 ddr mem and get about 5.3 gig/s mem throuput.

I remember posting something about this earlier so like i said somewhere isn't easy and yes that friend of yours is right except with some exceptions..

You have a Memory Bus, a Hypertransport Bus and a FSB in an A64 system.

Memory Bus runs ate configured mem speed.

Hypertransport Bus @ 800Mhz with Dual-signaling.

FSB = CPU cause FSB = CPU to MemCtrl.

Your friend does not deserve such a nice setup:p
200FPS is sorta crazy for Planetside...

Back