Fried Ram? Help Please

Howie

Limp Gawd
I have an i5 750 on MSI P55GD65 motherboard(the old version). Before the problems, I was running 12gb of Gskill DDR3-1600 ram (all 4 ram slots filled) with two sticks of 2gb and two sticks of 4gb. The 2gb sticks had different sinks.

Here's the situation. I bought a new SSD and two 4gb sticks of ram. I figure it was time for a spring cleaning so I did some work around the case. Notably, I reapplied thermal paste, replaced heatsink fan, installed the new SSD, and replaced my two sticks of 2gb with my new two sticks 4gb sticks of ram. When I booted up, something went wrong. There was a burnt smell. I have identified the problem and it appears to be burnt ram sticks. All four sticks of my 4gb ram are burnt even the ones that previousoy worked. I installed my two 2gb sticks of ram and the system booted up fine. I have not tested the other two ram slots because I have nothing to put there.

So what went wrong? My system was slightly overclocked with pretty much stock voltages. I ran my ram at 1600mhz with stock voltages which was where my ram was rated at. The new ram I bought was actually suppose to match the two sticks of 4gb I already had in my system. Is it just bad luck that I had two bad sticks of ram that fried my other two or what? Any comments and advice?

It almost sounds like, the Ram you bought was at a lower voltage that the board put out and fried all the ram..............the other thing is maybe the mosfets have let loose on the mother board I had that happen just recently on a MSI 990fx board with military class parts

It almost sounds like, the Ram you bought was at a lower voltage that the board put out and fried all the ram..............the other thing is maybe the mosfets have let loose on the mother board I had that happen just recently on a MSI 990fx board with military class parts
Hmm... what are the chances of the ram slots being burnt out? I was only able to try two.

Before buying new ram I would get mem test and test each dimm slot with 1 stick at a time just to be sure nothing happen to the slots.

This happened to my RipJaws. I changed to Corsair and no problems with overheating/frying.

Before buying new ram I would get mem test and test each dimm slot with 1 stick at a time just to be sure nothing happen to the slots.
That's a good suggestion. I'll likely just wait for the RMA process to go through but we will see.

This happened to my RipJaws. I changed to Corsair and no problems with overheating/frying.
Ya I lost a lot of confidence in Gskill after this but the Corsair doesn't seem to have great reviews either.

Back