Fried my EPOX 8KHA+ - Please recommend

NoVo

Weaksauce
I just ruined my 8KHA+ (my secondary PC). While removing the heatsink I scratched some traces right below the memory slots. I now get a C1 error, which is a memory related error code.

I've been out of the AMD scene for so long that I really do not know what to replace it with. Please keep in mind that I'm not looking for an expensive-top of the line board. Here is a list of the other components:

AMD Palomino XP 2000+
1x512 stick of Samsung DDR333 PC2700
BB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sound Blaster Live card

Any recommendations for a fairly inexpensive mainboard are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

An EPoX 8RDA3I or Abit NF7 vanilla should give your setup a good home for $70~80.

Solder it, man. If not, use some rear window defroster resin like when you OCed an Athlon. Otherwise you will have to pay over $50 bux for a new board. I would rather fix it than trash it, unless it's THAT badly trashed.

Originally posted by pantherdan
unless it's THAT badly trashed.

It is THAT bad!
I just ordered an MSI K7N2-V for $58 shipped. It looked to be the best nForce2 board for the money, and I did not need the "delta" version since I won't be doing dual DDR. Any comments on this board?

Looks like a decent board. Never heard of an NF2 that couldn't do DC, but it is useless with Athlons anyways (only integrated video benefits). The difference between the MCP2 and MCP-T is the integrated audio and I think firewire otherwise they're the same IIRC. It looks like that board doesn't allow changing the VCore and that puts a hamper on overclocking. For stock speeds it should be okay though. I've had positive experiences with MSI boards. Hope it works out.

I can't believe how far AMD boards have come since my EPOX 8KHA+. I just setup my new nForce2 board, using all of my old remaining hardware, and can't believe how fast it feels.

Specs:

Palomino XP 2000+ (not overclocked)
MSI K7N2-V
512MB Samsung PC2700 (single stick - not running dual channel)
SB Live

It actually feels as fast (especially boot time) as my P4 2.4c @ 3Ghz on an ABIT IC7 with dual channel DDR @ 400Mhz. Surely, it will not bench anywhere close to my P4 rig, but I'm still in awe over the speed, and feel of this new setup. After experiencing this, I my plan my next main machine upgrade around AMD. All I can say is WOW.

Originally posted by NoVo
After experiencing this, I my plan my next main machine upgrade around AMD. All I can say is WOW.

wait till you get your hands on a A64.... then it'll really be a "wow"

Under oddly enough I pulled out my old 8kha+ and beat the fuck outta it with a pair of plyers yesterday. Ripped everything off the pcb. Why? Bored really.

I recommend any asus a7n8x variant. Awesome. Abit NF7's have given me hell and I'm no longer a fan.

DFI Infinity ...one of the best motherboard right now for overclocking
$90 and is full featured: MCP-T ..the works.

Back