Fried Motherboard?

rayg

Limp Gawd
My friend went to flash his bios and ran the setup utility to do it. He got the flash off the alienware bios for his 875P Motherboard. It ran the flash and said he had to restart so he restared. After his computer restarted the screen went blank, he left it like that for about 10 minutes. He turned his computer off and turned it back on and nothing happens. Any help would be appreciated. If he screwed the bios up is there any way to get it back? He already tried taking the battery out of the motherboard and unplugged in the power cable, the same thing happened. He bought a new motherboard and everything works fine, so we know its his motherboard. Any help would be appreciated.

how do i reset the bios? I thought that if i took the battery out and unplugged it, it would reset the bios. The board wont even boot up at all, no way to get into the bios or do anything with it

ok, you not have the manual for the motherboard?
look for three metal pins with a clip connecting two with "Cmos" printed on the motherboard - this is your clear "switch" for the bios - look at the printing on the board - it should tell you which pins must be connected to keep the bios and which to clear - put the connector on the "clear" setting. Take the battery out of the motherboard. Keep it this way for 30 minutes. put the connector back to normal operation and boot - see if it cleared.

When you flash your Bios you erase all the information on a ROM chip that is read only memory then you put the new program on it. there is no way to just restart a program that has been erased from that ROM chip.
The good news it that if your ROM chip is replacable meaning it has a socket and is not sodered in you can remove it and buy another chip to get that board running good luck at it. sorry for the bad news.

Does your motherboard have a BIOS recovery option? If it does you should just be able to download the recovery diskette image from the manufacturers website and your off and running again.

Back