• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Fried Mobo or CPU? Help/suggestions needed

Betauser

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jul 14, 2003
Messages
3,872
Hi guys! I'm trying to fix my unc's Sony Vaio computer that he bought like 5yrs ago. it's the Pentium D series they had. I thought it was just the PSU at first since it wont boot and power goes off when tried to power up. I changed the psu with 500 watts thermaltake which should enough to power this ancient rig.

Well, it powers up and I can see the fan and feel the HDDs spinning. Weird thing is there's no beep. Took out both RAM to make sure it isnt the RAM. Again, powers up and no beep. The mobo should alert me with simultanious beeps if RAM is missing. Nothing, nada, zip! :mad:

So now I only have a few options. Find a motherboard that compatible with this rig or just retrieve all the data and files from the HDD and back it up. Bad news is, i can't find a replacement system board for this model :(

now the reason I mentioned that it might be the CPU because when I was cleaning the inside of the rig, the heatsink was full of dust and I'm assuming the CPU fried due to overheating, but if it's the CPU, wouldnt the mobo should still beeps when I uninstalled the RAM?

what do you guys think? Any other options here beside retrieving the data/files from HDD? If that's the only way, how do I go about of doing this? any software I need to retrieve them?

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you.
 
Yes, the board should have beeped, but I'm not entirely sure, since it's an OEM Sony board. Generally speaking, though, yes, it should have beeped, which would lead me to agree with you that the board is toast. I'd say recover the data, then ditch/sell everything including the HDDs (after data recovery/DBAN), on CL.
 
thanks for the input guy... Ya, I think that's my only options now. I know those geek squad have the tools to retrieve data from HDD and I'm wondering what kind of tools they are using. My unc said he needs the emails and files that are stored in that PC. :( Anyways, gonna do some google search if there's an easy way to retrieve the data from HDD.

Any additional comments or suggestions are still welcome :)

Thanks!

Update: I know how to retrieve the data now. I think I might be able to save this pc. Gotta back up the hard drive and retrieve data/files first and replace the mobo and cpu, use the rest of the parts and do a fresh install. Believe it or not, this sony vaio has it's own cheap ATI AGP card. Wish me luck guys :D
 
Last edited:
to grab the data, just plug it into a working system. ;)

ya no kidding. Didn't realize till I posted that hours ago that my HDDs aren't dead and just plug and search for data that needs to be back up. Honestly, I was assuming for the worst case scenario. Ty :)
 
Back
Top