Frickin ATI support

Swatchie

[H]ard|Gawd
I am in my comp room about to wrap presents , when I hear a funny noise. I think its the ceiling fan, but i want to make sure. I open up my case, and my fan for my 9800 pro is sitting on the bottom of my case !!! I quickly kill the power , and the noise is still going on . It was my ceiling fan. Needless to say , I am pissed at my video card. I checked the bottom of the case, and the force of the fan coming off dented and chipped the metal on the case . WTF .

SO I decide to RMA the bastard . I have had it for almost a year , and I goto ATI's site , and start to get all the info I needed , and click on the rma link , and this screen pops up ...

Warranty Service Request

The Warranty Service Center is closed for the holidays. Regular business operations will resume on January 3, 2004 at which time you may submit your request.

Alternatively, if you recently purchased your product and are still within the exchange period specified by your retailer, you may wish to contact them to inquire about their exchange process.

Thank you for choosing ATI. We wish you and your loved ones a safe and happy holiday season.

I hate this . have to use my crap card now .

Pissed ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

How dare all the people that work at ATI take some time off to spend with their families!! Bastards :mad:

Yes they are bastards . As we are still 4 days away from the holidays , and seeing as how I dont know the exact date is for my 1 year mark , and seeing as how i cant let someone know that i need warranty work , they are bastards . I doubt they need to give their reps in india 10 days off. I highly doubt the indian people want to be off that long .

Are you saying it is their fault for not knowing your 1 year mark? Has it all of a sudden become their job to know how long you've had your card?

Shame on you for being so inconsiderate.

Last I knew, ATI cards didn't have just a one-year warranty. I can understand your frustration, but I can also see the fairness in ATI giving their employees time off for the holidays.

In the meantime, if you need a fan, I can think of two options:

a) Buy an Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer, which is a far better fan, quieter, will last longer, and keep your card cooler. Good places to look are Jab-Tech, FrozenCPU, CrazyPC, and others. I had one for my card and was very happy, for more info, check out http://www.arctic-cooling.com

b) I have the stock fan off a Sapphire Radeon 9700, which is a genuine ATI OEM HSF. If you need one really badly, PM me for pictures to make sure it's the right one for your card. If it is, I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping, as I no longer own the card and do not need it.

Happy Hollidays :)

Swatchie said:
I doubt they need to give their reps in india 10 days off. I highly doubt the indian people want to be off that long .

LOL

The stock ATI coolers suck. Just about as bad as their tech support..........

If your card still works, get an after market cooler and see if you can just RMA the fan. And if they say no, tell them they are Bastards. Even if they are outsourced, Job stealing, off shore Bastards.

swetmore said:
LOL

The stock ATI coolers suck. Just about as bad as their tech support..........

If your card still works, get an after market cooler and see if you can just RMA the fan. And if they say no, tell them they are Bastards. Even if they are outsourced, Job stealing, off shore Bastards.

If you were starving in India and someone offered YOU a job doing helpdesk, would you become a "job-stealing offshore bastard", to feed yourself and possibly a family, or would you say "No thanks, that would be stealing a job from North America"? Get a grip...and maybe think about that "Peace on earth and good will towards men" thing.

Merry Christmas.

"If you were starving in India and someone offered YOU a job doing helpdesk, would you become a "job-stealing offshore bastard", to feed yourself and possibly a family, or would you say "No thanks, that would be stealing a job from North America"? Get a grip...and maybe think about that "Peace on earth and good will towards men" thing."

Fuck India and fuck outsourcing. Charity starts at home.

freeloader1969 said:
Fuck India and fuck outsourcing. Charity starts at home.

.... Wow, I'm not even going to touch that. Goodbye thread, we barely knew ye.

Too bad it wasn't a Powercolor, I wanted to buy a fan for mine and they sent me a whole heatsink fan combo for free. Excellant customer service.

freeloader1969 said:
"If you were starving in India and someone offered YOU a job doing helpdesk, would you become a "job-stealing offshore bastard", to feed yourself and possibly a family, or would you say "No thanks, that would be stealing a job from North America"? Get a grip...and maybe think about that "Peace on earth and good will towards men" thing."

F**k India and f**k outsourcing. Charity starts at home.

Which home are you refering to, are all jobs in the USA? Does ATi source all components in the USA? Does all of ATi's resources that build their chips come from the USA?

It's a global economy Bud.

Haha...charity is just GREAT business practice. Personally, I would rather talk to a compentent tech support employee who cares about their job, and has a bit of an Indian accent, than a mildly retarded American tech support employee, who cant answer 90 percent of my questions.

LoneWolf said:
If you were starving in India and someone offered YOU a job doing helpdesk, would you become a "job-stealing offshore bastard", to feed yourself and possibly a family, or would you say "No thanks, that would be stealing a job from North America"? Get a grip...and maybe think about that "Peace on earth and good will towards men" thing.

Merry Christmas.

Theres always two sides to an issue, and outsourcing isn't all "Oh, lets help the poor starving people". Its mostly overpayed company execs looking for a way to save money so that they can increase their salary. They don't give a flying shit about the poor starving people, they only care that they will do the job for less money than in North America. You can't help the world if people in your own country don't have jobs.

So, in the holiday spirit, fuck CEOs, and I hope an employee goes postal and shoots one of them. Wouldn't that be a shame. :rolleyes:

You might find this interesting: CEO Pay Soars at Companies That Send Jobs Overseas

LeArN2LiVe said:
Are you saying it is their fault for not knowing your 1 year mark? Has it all of a sudden become their job to know how long you've had your card?

Shame on you for being so inconsiderate.

Im saying its their fault cause there is no where that I can access any kind of warranty info . I have already registered my acct, and when I try to login it doesnt accept my email address cause I guess its too long.

I am not worried about replacing the HSF. I need to know if my card is expired before I do that . If its under warranty , I want them to fix it. Right now I have a pair of 80's over it sucking the air out .

ATI needs something on their site so consumers can verify warranty. Like I can with my maxtor drives.

Oh my God! What is this world coming to? Taking time off from work to celebrate their rligious holidays at your expense? How dare they have families!!

Most businesses are still open right now, surely a lot of the people working as we type this rant have families as well.... Why would their Indian tech support people be away anyway?

King of Camelot said:

Personally I think that's cool. Maybe someone will get a clue and not demand ridiculous benefits by way of labor revolts. Why would anyone expect a business to stay here when the cost of labor is inflated by the damn unions and laws that protect them?
King of Camelot said:
They don't give a flying shit about the poor starving people, they only care that they will do the job for less money than in North America.
Read some more Adam Smith.

King of Camelot said:
Theres always two sides to an issue, and outsourcing isn't all "Oh, lets help the poor starving people". Its mostly overpayed company execs looking for a way to save money so that they can increase their salary. They don't give a flying shit about the poor starving people, they only care that they will do the job for less money than in North America. You can't help the world if people in your own country don't have jobs.

So, in the holiday spirit, fuck CEOs, and I hope an employee goes postal and shoots one of them. Wouldn't that be a shame. :rolleyes:

You might find this interesting: CEO Pay Soars at Companies That Send Jobs Overseas

This wasn't meant to become a thread on outsourcing. I'm sorry I posted any sentiment at all. I was objecting to the employees in India that were being called "bastards". Personally, I don't think this is their fault in any way; if anyone wishes to start a thread on outsourcing I'm sure it can be done, and we can talk about company's poor choices in where to send their jobs, which has nothing to do with the people in India being offered them. I don't like outsourcing, but to curse out an Indian helpdesk support person (by the way, is ATI even outsourcing their tech support? No-one proved this) for the decisions of a CEO and board of directors is ridiculous, and that was my real point.

At any rate, my offer still stands to the originator of the thread. Need a fan? PM me, and if the Radeon 9700 stock HSF I have fits your Radeon 9800, I'll gladly send it to you for the cost of shipping it there.

I am the one who really made the first comment, sorry to jack your thread.

And damn right, I am an angry white North American male. I have a well paying job for a very large global IT firm. I am highly educated, and a strong competitor in my field.

I agree with the sentiment about the CEO's. Woooooohoooooo. Even our help desk is outsourced to India, and the service is so poor that no one bothers.

And the likes of Greenspan that claims "Don't mess with competition". Yeah like I can live in America with 10 years experience in my field and several degrees and live off of $6.00 - 8.00 and hour (what they pay in 3rd World outsourced countries) jsut to stay competitive. That is not competition, but what I do bring to the table is superior communication skills, and high intelligence.

It is so sad that many competent American's can't find work due to Corporate Greed. I have seen many US families get hurt.

Need to have a Million man march, but by then the silly Bastards at the top of the Corporate World will realize that offshoring is not always a good idea because of the speed of deployment and unforeseen costs. This may come full circle in a few years.

What could happen is a terrorist groups start targeting data centers in third world countries. That would definatley make it like 1999 for all us in the IT business, and my personal hourly rate will be back to $165(+) like it was in the late 90's. For those of us who survived the IT meltdown over the past four years, we still got a grudge.

You've just hijacked it even more. I agree that tech-support shouldn't be outsourced. You wouldn't believe the headaches that I get when SBC craps out on me.

Isn't Ati a canadian company?

Hence any outsourcing to Americans is just "stealing" jobs from jolly old Canadians, no different to outsourcing to India apart from 4* the salary.

swetmore said:
That would definatley make it like 1999 for all us in the IT business, and my personal hourly rate will be back to $165(+) like it was in the late 90's.

I see you're angry, but you won't get much sympathy when you're complaining about a what if situation that would end up leaving you only making $165 per hour. That's like Latrell Sprewell complaining about not being able to feed his family on 14 million dollars a year.

Not to mention that even passing consideration of an enhancement to your professional career resulting from terrorist attacks on foreign data centers (and presumably workers) is also very unappealing.

Swatchie said:
I am in my comp room about to wrap presents , when I hear a funny noise. I think its the ceiling fan, but i want to make sure. I open up my case, and my fan for my 9800 pro is sitting on the bottom of my case !!! I quickly kill the power , and the noise is still going on . It was my ceiling fan. Needless to say , I am pissed at my video card. I checked the bottom of the case, and the force of the fan coming off dented and chipped the metal on the case . WTF .

SO I decide to RMA the bastard . I have had it for almost a year , and I goto ATI's site , and start to get all the info I needed , and click on the rma link , and this screen pops up ...

I hate this . have to use my crap card now .

Pissed ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Maybe they had to send their Warranty Service Center talking monkey back to the circus and won't be able to find a replacement until Jan 3 and are just trying to buy themselves some time?

I wish I worked for a company that would give me 2 weeks off at Christmas (paid) without me having to burn up all my yearly vacation time. It's unheard of for a company in the US (I know ATI is Canadian) to close down for 2 weeks. You break up the time off requests so you can always keep at least 50% of your people in the office so business operations can continue. It's nice to take time off for the holidays (I'm taking 2 days) but it doesn't make sense to completely shut down operations.

All I can figure is that their Service Center staff is so undermanned (you know, like they have 2 people for their entire worldwide sales) that they couldn't manage normal operations with even 1 person taking time off and had to suspend RMAs temporarily.

Considering that ATI is a *CANADIAN* company, I'm not sure that we're losing a lot of US jobs to India.

Also, I suspect that India doesn't close much of anything for Christmas seeing as how they're not exactly a Christian nation.

ATI does not limit you to a one year warranty, but even if they did, don'tcha think they'd honor a request on January 3rd considering THEY ARE CLOSED right now?

Also, it's demonstrates a pretty clear demographic ignorance to characterize the massive population of India as being comprised exclusively of starving unwashed masses, or English-challenged and similiary unwashed help desk technicians.

Swatchie said:
I checked the bottom of the case, and the force of the fan coming off dented and chipped the metal on the case .

Just curious, how does a piece of aluminum wieghing barely a fraction of an ounce chip and dent your case?

Astral Abyss said:
Maybe they had to send their Warranty Service Center talking monkey back to the circus and won't be able to find a replacement until Jan 3 and are just trying to buy themselves some time?

I wish I worked for a company that would give me 2 weeks off at Christmas (paid) without me having to burn up all my yearly vacation time. It's unheard of for a company in the US (I know ATI is Canadian) to close down for 2 weeks. You break up the time off requests so you can always keep at least 50% of your people in the office so business operations can continue. It's nice to take time off for the holidays (I'm taking 2 days) but it doesn't make sense to completely shut down operations.

All I can figure is that their Service Center staff is so undermanned (you know, like they have 2 people for their entire worldwide sales) that they couldn't manage normal operations with even 1 person taking time off and had to suspend RMAs temporarily.
In Canada we celebrate Christmas, 2 weeks is normal for a good job. But Thanksgiving here is 1 day, and that's a Sunday. Why every company in the U.S. shuts down for a week for Thanksgiving is beyond me, especially 1 month before Christmas.

Now if it's outsourced to India, then it should be open. But we do have immigration, so speaking to someone with an accent, doesn't mean it was outsourced.

BTW: if you're going to send a v.card across the border and wait for it, to replace the fan..............

to the original poster : take the freebee you were offered and be thankful

ncantador said:
Just curious, how does a piece of aluminum wieghing barely a fraction of an ounce chip and dent your case?

Im only guessing as to how it happened , but I am assuming its cause the fan was spinning at a high rate of speed, creating potential energy, and when it was spinning, it came off. With all the potential energy built up, and now released, now becoming kinetic energy and since it was at a high rate of speed , that when it hit the metal, it chipped it. Seems to me to be an easy process

FragMagnet said:
In Canada we celebrate Christmas, 2 weeks is normal for a good job. But Thanksgiving here is 1 day, and that's a Sunday. Why every company in the U.S. shuts down for a week for Thanksgiving is beyond me, especially 1 month before Christmas.

Now if it's outsourced to India, then it should be open. But we do have immigration, so speaking to someone with an accent, doesn't mean it was outsourced.

BTW: if you're going to send a v.card across the border and wait for it, to replace the fan..............

to the original poster : take the freebee you were offered and be thankful

I am thankful for the freebie , but thats not the point. I am wanting the warranty service since I paid for it . When something goes wrong with my car, and its under warranty , I take it for warranty service rather than do the repair myself. Thats why I pay for it . I can do it , easily , but I aint going to do it . I appreciate the offer of the fan , but if ATI wont do it , I will just get a waterblock.

swetmore said:

Um, moron, ATI is a Canadian company. The fact they have R&D facilities in 4 states is called insourcing, as in bringing jobs from a different country into the US.

Be sure to wipe the shit out of your eyes after you pull your head out of your ass.

Back