FRESH XP install is giving me so much crap

Tonybologna23

Limp Gawd
I have installed Windows XP SP1 4 times in the last 2 hours because of the same reoccuring problem:

Programs just wont fucking work. blah.

namely small apps like GAIM, VLC media player, etc. I install them, they work perfectly, then all of a sudden they just stop working.

With GAIM it will load up fine, show my buddy list, but as soon as i recieve a message from someone, or want to send one myself, it just says "GAIM has run into a serious error and must shit itself". I uninstall, reinstall, purge all gaim related files on my hard drive, it doesnt work.

With VLC player it just wont plane open after awhile. I double click and it just ignores me. It will start up the VLC process in task manager, but hten it will dissapear right away, before anyhting happens.

I dont fucking understand it, this has never happend before. I am fully updated with windows, only drivers i have installed besides that of the IC7-G are the ATI catalyst drivers. The installation is fucking clean, and I've done it 4 times today and i eventually encounter the same problem.

I am willing to reinstall windows again but not until I get some advice as to what I could possibly be doing wrong, or what I can do to catch something I could be doing wrong, or just how do I make this not continue. Are there conflicting proccesses running in windows? Does anyone know about any specific problems with gaim and VLC?

First off:
(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

With that said, the symptoms are consistent with some sort of hardware failure/anomaly. I'd suggest running Memtest86 and the diagnostic utility offered by your Hard Drive manufacturer. It may also be a driver issue-make sure you are using the latest drivers from the hardware manufacturer's websites.

Whatever it is, the problem is able to transcend a format, so its got to be hardware related in some way, whether due to failure or improper drivers.

M11 said:
First off:
(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

With that said, the symptoms are consistent with some sort of hardware failure/anomaly. I'd suggest running Memtest86 and the diagnostic utility offered by your Hard Drive manufacturer. It may also be a driver issue-make sure you are using the latest drivers from the hardware manufacturer's websites.

Whatever it is, the problem is able to transcend a format, so its got to be hardware related in some way, whether due to failure or improper drivers.

edited thread title, sorry about that.

Ok well luckly this is one of two identical systems that I built the other day. The other system is doing perfectly fine (so far). I will get on your advice to update my drivers, im am a little more calm now, hehe.

Back