fresh install windows...crashes, errors, frustration

jsn117

Limp Gawd
I just did a fresh install of XP, but I am still crashing out of games that are fine, certain video files won't play or skip around like crazy.

what is going on?

How about some more information. ..

why the reload?
did the load go smoothly
what updates have you installed
Did you install the chipset drivers , etc etc
are you using a oem copy.. or a home made slipstreamed version?
which games?

Last question.. Legal copy? . if not dont then dont worry about the other questions.

yes...its a legal copy

it was from the CD...did all the updates...all drivers are fine.

this is confusing the shit out of me :(

Make sure your doing the chipset and video card drivers in the right order as well.

Gonna go with a driver error. Did you download all new ones or use the ones off the CD's? Download the newest drivers and make sure you have the latest version of DirectX.

This is not likely a software problem, time to start look at the hardware. This sounds like a new problem to old (not new) hardware. That means one of two things are likely, heat and bad hardware.

Heat: it's getting warmer outside so it's getting warmer inside. An OC that was working 5 moths ago may not be working today. Dust is a "thermal blanket" over time, more dust=increased temps.

Bad HW: Shit happens, ID bad hardware, replace it, and move on. I would start with running memtest 86+ to check your memory. Report results. Good luck.

BigBadBiologist said:
Phoenix86 is dead on (as always).
1. check system temps.
2. run memtest.

You know, we could just replace him with a small script that posts "Run memtest." in every thread. lol :D

j/k :p

did you re-install XP while connected to the internet? could have gotten a virus immediately.

memtest gave me a shitload of errors...damn it.

is there any chance the data on my HDs was corrupted by the few days running on bad RAM?

sorry to state the obvious but of course there's a chance, but you wont know until you fix the memory.

you can try loosening your RAM timings and/or increase your VDIMM (2.8V should be fine) and see if that clears up your errors.

jsn117 said:

is there any chance the data on my HDs was corrupted by the few days running on bad RAM?

Damn it Phoenix86! One day I'll get one right... if I ever learn the art of running memtest before anything else. lol :p

Good call on that one though.

jsn117 said:

Doubtful. Corruption usually stems form running out of spec.

jsn117 said:

Failing memtest86 means your system can't write/read memory properly. It doesn't mean the RAM is bad, but it's the most suspect.

If you are running more than one stick, test them individually. If one passes and one fails, replace the failing module. If they all fail its more likely you have a bad BIOS settings (VDIMM and timings BigBadBiologist mentions) PSU/mobo, possibly CPU. If you can cross test failing modules in another PC, esp if all are failing (doesn't matter if you only have 1 stick or 4).

It's possible you have data corruption, but you can't tell yet. Doesn't necessarily happen every time you get bad RAM, but it's possible.

To the memtest haters: :p

;)

took out one bad stick of RAM...the other passed 2 hours of memtest so I used it.

same problems...locking up during games and a good majority of videos are now not playing.

why isnt there a crying smiley?

You need to test one stick at a time, for several hours. Two hours may cut it, but you seem to have a random issue, so I'd test for longer.

Compare the timings in the BIOS vs. your chip's timings.

Do you have different brand/speed (not just bus speed, the timings as well), or are all chips the same?

Why cry when you can be :mad: :mad: :mad: ?

;)

Good luck.

ok, new RAM seems to get my OS running fine, but on a second HD certain videos skip around a bit, with no fluctuations in CPU or HD activity.

is there any way to fix the files that shudder and shake around?

jsn117 said:
Ok, new RAM seems to get my OS running fine, but on a second HD certain videos skip around a bit, with no fluctuations in CPU or HD activity.
is there any way to fix the files that shudder and shake around?

As a start, see how they play with mplayer. I've seen it play things that other programs have problems with more than once.
It's originally a linux project, but there's a windows port. I like this installer (and frontend), myself.

If the files themselves are damaged, you could always try a slight rebuild with mencoder:
Something like "mencoder -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy oldfile -o newfile.avi".
Basically, this will construct a new video container file, but copy the video and sound data untouched. There's a possibility that it'll help, but no guarantees.
(mencoder comes with mplayer. Unless you set a suitable PATH, you'll probably have to do "c:\program files\mplayer\mencoder (switches)", if that's where you installed it.)

HHunt said:
As a start, see how they play with mplayer. I've seen it play things that other programs have problems with more than once.
It's originally a linux project, but there's a windows port. I like this installer (and frontend), myself.

If the files themselves are damaged, you could always try a slight rebuild with mencoder:
Something like "mencoder -forceidx -oac copy -ovc copy oldfile -o newfile.avi".
Basically, this will construct a new video container file, but copy the video and sound data untouched. There's a possibility that it'll help, but no guarantees.
(mencoder comes with mplayer. Unless you set a suitable PATH, you'll probably have to do "c:\program files\mplayer\mencoder (switches)", if that's where you installed it.)

thanks, i'll try that.

but one main problem still exists. when left on overnight, in a very cool area, my system will crash everytime. It locks up just like it did when running on the bad RAM.

I ran the new stuff for 10+hours in memtest, i'm pretty sure its fine. Could a corrupt slave HD be to blame?

*edit* also a weird point for me, the HD meter seems to always be a 100% or close to it, while the CPU isnt working hard at all? I have no idea what to make of this :(

It might be caused by a flaky HD, yes. Could you disconnect it and see if that helps?
It could also be a windows problem, a disk controller problem, a generic MB problem, ... you get the drift. But try disconnecting the drive before doing any extensive crossswap-testing.

Back