Fresh install of xp but where is my network card and sound card?

omi

Limp Gawd
Ok guys I just bought a new motherboard Asus P5ND2-SLI deluxe. I decided to format my drive since I haven't done that for the pass couple of years. Now the problem is, upon boot up winxp pro didn't detect my soundcard and network card in the PCI slot. Aren't this suppose to be plug and play? I remember it use to detect it but i just have to install the right driver for it to work properly. Howerver not this time. I'm currently using the onboard sound and Lan right now. I even tried to reinstall winxp numerous time and still it won't detect it. The network card should work even without the driver. But i got nothing when i go inside the network connection page. The soundcard is what bug me the most cause i spend 100+ on it and i dont' want to go to waste. So does anyone know what might be the cause of this problem?

It's not very clear what the current situation is, so I'm just going to state some facts.

If you have add-in sound and network cards, you should have the onboard equivalents disabled. You mention they are not "detected", but are they showing up in Device Manager, with yellow exclamation points? If so, you need to install the drivers.

Disable the onboard audio and network, and reboot. Check the device manager. I bet they will be in there, showing as I said, in need of drivers. Then you just need to install the drivers, which I would recommend getting the latest from each site.

I never used any onboard sound or lan until today. I always disabled them before i did my install of windows. And no they did not show up in the device manager list either. Now Usually when I do a reformat the first thing on boot up is New hardward found soundbaster blah blah blah you get the idea. But i didn't get it this time, device manager show no sound and no network adapter upon boot up.

Try taking both cards out, and one at a time, putting them back in and booting the computer up. If possible, try other PCI slots. But, go back into the BIOS and disable onboard audio. You might as well keep the onboard LAN enabled and use that...and add-in card isn't going to give you anything the onboard one can't.

did you install all of the motherboard drivers? thats what usually causes problems like this.

well i tried with different slot still no go. Maybe it's a fautly motherboard?

Back